Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

In my 8620 (non-Pro), whenever I run the command, the screen of the printer flashes for less than a second, and I can hear a sound (like a chord). But nothing else happens (no upgrade, no green screen, no error message).

HP Recommended

Thank you for posting this - it really is going to help alot of people. I downloaded the file and extracted it to my desktop. Can you explain what the first line of code is. I keep getting errors. Specifically can you explain <path>/<to>/<zip_directory>. I'm assuming those need to be specific to where the file is.

HP Recommended
TAR161 it didn't work on my mac
But I found the last firmware file what model do you have. So I can send you the link
HP Recommended

office jet 8620 pro

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my HP 8620 as others have.  But I can't find the instructions to do it, despite people saying "thanks, that worked."  Where are the instructions?  I'm faced with having to buy another printer - i can't even make genuine cartridges work now!

HP Recommended

I haven't been able to downgrade my 8620 (non-Pro) either.

Hopefully we will only have to wait a couple of weeks until HP provides an official solution.

HP Recommended

I don't know what you mean by "open up the terminal and run"  because I tried it in command mode at the folder I downloaded and as a Windows "run".  Neither recognizes nc or nc.exe and rejects it.

What is it that I don't understand?

Bil

HP Recommended

in this website  they have the downloable  for mac and win  is in Dutch  but  is pretty self explanatoy  if you have questions let me know

http://www.123inkt.nl/page/hp_firmware.html

HP Recommended

For mac users only:

I got mine to work. Download the files, extract them to desktop, rezip the .ful.rfu file using the compress feature by second clicking, open terminal, and type the following. 

Note "your printer IP" should literally be the ip address of the printer that you want to update firmware. 

You may need to put the full path before the file, which at this point should be located at your desktop. To find this, second click the file, more info, and you should see a tab titled where, copy the info and paste it before the file name. You may not even need to do this. 

nc -w 100 "Your printer IP" < ojpro_8620_1416A_04152014_1.ful.rfu.zip

Notice that this is different text from the read me files because that code was designed for a pc. So was the Run_This file. Ignore them.  We are only concerned with ojpro...

HP Recommended

Thank you.   I was able to downgrade the firmware on my HP8620.  I originally tried the steps with a Mac,but was unsuccessful.  Once I downloaded the firmware from the list provided using a Windows 10 computer, my computer automatically went through the steps as outlined.  Thank you so much.  I will never buy another HP if I can help it.  HP should pay me for all the time I've spent on this issue.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.