Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Well, I thought maybe I'd finally found the answer with the tip to run from explorer but still no joy. 😞

I have been without my colour now for a couple of weeks and also automatic duplex printing.

I have uninstalled/removed/deleted ALL programs/devices and all traces of the printer and reinstalled from online, from cd and now from explorer so many times I've developed muscle memory for all the steps.

Printer is out of warranty so I can't even talk to anybody on the phone to get straight answers on how to fix this. It has happened to me 3 or 4 times, usually after a windows update. argh. But this is the first time I haven't been able to get it back. I have the same screen as screenshot above without the option of "Print in Greyscale" so please don't tell me to check it to turn it off.

I am able to get colour test pages and print from my iPad to the printer in colour so it's definitely just a print driver issue.

I have downloaded the FULL package update but once its installed, the file application just says BASIC.

I absolutely HAVE to have colour prints! I really don't want to have to buy yet another printer (just got this one just over a year ago).

Anybody have any NEW ideas??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Miraclesabound4

A warm welcome to HP Community!

Adding an alternate driver may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Control panel, click Devices and Printers

2.) In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your HP Officejet 4650 and left click on Printer Properties.

3.) Left click on the Advanced tab

4.) Left click on New Driver

5.) When the New Driver window opens just hit 'next' until you see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right.

6.) Select HP as the Manufacturer on the left

7.) Select HP Envy 7640 as the printer on the right. If HP Envy 7640 doesn't appear than select 'Windows Update' on the bottom left and once the update completes you will be able to select HP Envy 4500.

8.) After selecting HP Envy 7640 hit next to complete the New Driver Wizard.

9.) Under the Printer Properties window select 'Apply' but don't hit OK

10.) Select the General tab

11.) Rename your printer back to HP Officejet 4650.

12.) Hit OK.

Keep me posted!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

93 REPLIES 93
HP Recommended

@Miraclesabound4

A warm welcome to HP Community!

Adding an alternate driver may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Control panel, click Devices and Printers

2.) In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your HP Officejet 4650 and left click on Printer Properties.

3.) Left click on the Advanced tab

4.) Left click on New Driver

5.) When the New Driver window opens just hit 'next' until you see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right.

6.) Select HP as the Manufacturer on the left

7.) Select HP Envy 7640 as the printer on the right. If HP Envy 7640 doesn't appear than select 'Windows Update' on the bottom left and once the update completes you will be able to select HP Envy 4500.

8.) After selecting HP Envy 7640 hit next to complete the New Driver Wizard.

9.) Under the Printer Properties window select 'Apply' but don't hit OK

10.) Select the General tab

11.) Rename your printer back to HP Officejet 4650.

12.) Hit OK.

Keep me posted!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

JUMPING UP AND DOWN! SHOUTING "IT'S RED, IT'S RED, IT'S RED!" LOOKING AT THE WORD RED ON MY PIECE OF PAPER THAT IS ALSO *FINALLY* COLOURED RED!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS SOLUTION!!!

AND THE AUTO-DUPLEX PIECE IS WORKING AGAIN AS WELL!!!

HP Recommended

@Miraclesabound4

You are welcome! Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. If you need any help, feel free to reach out to us. Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

AWESOME!!  for months now I have been going crazy, trying everything I knew, and no luck, only b/w print.  I need color print for my business and I had reached out to HP, have a case # and everything, but never heard anything back.  So I went and purchased another printer, sitting here by my side still in the box.  I thought "let me look again at possible community help" and VOILA, this worked, I am seeing color.  Thank you so much, I wish I had waited just a bit longer to see online help and I would not have this extra printer sitting by my side.  So Thank You Senan6806!!!!!

HP Recommended

You are a genius!!! I have tried every other (non)solution I've found, to no avail. This did it! Thank you!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much ! It worked!!!!!!

HP Recommended

From Senna’s solution, I believe I found a simpler one:

1. In Windows, search for and open Control panel, click Devices and Printers
  2. In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your HP Officejet 4650 and left click on “set as default printer”. A dialog box will come and state something like, “This will remove control of your printer from Windows”.  Select yes or okay.  Problem solved!

Note:  When you select “Print” from MS Word, click on “Printer Properties” under the “Printer Box” showing your 4650 printer, then select “Paper Quality” and then select either B/W or Color.

HP Recommended

In my printer settings there is no "advanced" tab under properties.  I've tried deleting the whole thing and reinstalling and still no color.

HP Recommended

Just like Miraclesabound! I'm jumping up and down!! It's only took 12 uninstalls and re-installs to get to this ..........brill!!:-)))

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.