Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@frogger38

We shall escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Have sent PM with details... Thks for help.

HP Recommended

I'm not sure why HP Support keeps insisting on sending PM's to fix what is obviously not an isolated issue. Any updates on this?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi.

They Private message you to give you the instructions to do a full Factory Reset, which they do not like to publish openly.  They also take the opportunity to collect  personal contact info and serial numbers from you. This hasn't worked for anyone yet as far as I know. The update is broken and they won't admit it AND I was promised a contact within a few days and OF COURSE many, many days later I've heard nothing. HP Seem to be IN DENIAL that there is a problem. 

I'm technically quite experienced, as I worked in IT desktop and Network support management for a Major Comms provider for many years before retiring. I must say the the support I got for HP professional products far exceeded any I have ever received as a individual user. However it was reflected in the corporate support pricing.

Come on HP try the update on a compatible Printer and tell us what we are doing wrong. 

I know when I got support for our company I was dealing with engineers, now as an individual I can only deal with call centers who only work from a script and have no testing facilities or experience of using the products they claim to support. 

I am very disappointed with the level of help we get from HP. 

This is my own honest opinion of the status quo at the moment. I am just waiting for a 'repaired' update to to be published.

HP Recommended

Has anyone gotten the 2011A firmware update to work?  This is the version released on Oct 31, 2020.  I'm experiencing the same problems others are describing on this thread.

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have the exact same problem, the updater does not work with my N911g printer.

Could You please send the reset instructions for me as well?

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with this printer as well as an HP Laserjet Pro 400 M401n - no longer able to connect to print via Web Services on either printer and after removing Web Services on both printers I am no longer able to re enable Web Services on either.  The 8600 is on firmware CKP1CN1829AR but patch version 0.  Is this a systemic HP issue or has HP silently discontinued Web Services for these printers?  I have spent over a day trying every sensible suggestion posted on the internet - I am IT savy

HP Recommended

Hi  I was able to get the firmware installed according to their hp tool, but am receiving the Cartridge Damaged Messages now for all my cartridges.  As I have been dealing with this type of issue since Nov/Dec, I first suspected that I might have installed a version that added "Security" to prevent the use of 3rd part cartridges, which I have been using for years.  I know my new replacement cartridges included the "Newer" chips that allow for ink level monitoring, unlike the prior versions, so I was suspecting a problem with the chip that might be incompatible with the current firmware.  As I was able to get one of the newer cartridges to work prior to the update (after reseeding it a few times), I was trying to find a way to restore the old firmware, but still searching for that.  My printer is a N911n, and I have not found a consistent way to reset it.  I did get the Home, Back, Home, Home to work possibly one time a couple months ago, so not sure if the Oct 31st firmware changed something, as I have not been able to do any kind of reset.  (tried the Back x 4-5 times as well at boot up, but nothing happens, after power off/unplugging for 1-10 mins).  I did the update for sure by using the USB Connection, as I was not sure if the wireless install really worked.  Right now I was able to remove a chip(s) and have gotten back to the initial set up screen, but still trying to get pass the cart damaged messages and the Non-OEM message (which is normal and had been fine when I responded OK in the past, but been getting the damaged cartridge messages lately even on the start cartridges (with a depleted message just prior to that).  I did clean all my connectors on the printhead in the middle of this effort, and now wonder if my printhead needs replacement but not really wanting to spend a lot more of this old printer, as it may be a firmware issue still, but not sure now.  Appreciate anyone that is willing to share the reset procedures beyond what I tried; Home, Back, Home, Home or Back x4-5 times after unplugging printer for 10+ seconds to 10 mins. and entering them after I plug in the printer and it starts to boot up.  I am like everyone else, and that's to avoid HP if I get a new printer, but heard they are all the same as far as support.  Open to suggestions for a good wire/wireless color printer (considering Laser to avoid cartridges, but I am sure their are issues there as well) . 

HP Recommended

Hi MattG2294, I haven't found a solution to my issue yet, but did find some information regarding the firmware security fix that HP included in its firmware a few years back to prevent the use of 3rd party cartridges, which triggered a class action lawsuit a couple years ago.  HP was suppose to have provided a fix for that issue, and in doing more research, it appears that my HP Officejet Pro 8600 Premium (N911n) was not part of that maintenance and lawsuit, but of course no one is really policing HP.  I was able to find a website in my research to see if I could find a regress version of the firmware (prior to 2011A) to see if going backwards was possible to see if that might help resolve my issue, but have not found a copy anywhere.  I did find a site that had regress copies of the firmware, if you were impacted by the 3rd party cartridge security issue, but the 8600 should not have been affected, so no regress copy was available.  I am now thinking that since I am getting the same cartridge damage messages on my start-up cartridges now, I may need to replace my printer head, as its been like 5-6 years since I replaced it, but as you probably know they are pricey.  I did get one for like $85 a few years ago on ebay, but its a hit and miss on ebay, but did see some around $50 (non-oem of course).  I was considering looking for a new set of starter cartridges to see if they would work, but after getting the damage messages on all my original (depleted) start cartridges which use to work.  I kind of doubt new starter cartridges would work or maybe some 3rd party cartridges with the old chips and leaning toward a new print head or a new printer.  Sorry I don't have a simple solution for you, just observations.  Let me know if you were ever able to get to the service menu, and what you did to get there as I'd like to try to a semi-reset or full reset.  Thanks and Good Luck!

HP Recommended

Hey Stan95630,

Thanks for the update, I thankfully am not having any issues with my print head but I did lose access to the eprint and the HP apps. I did use this regularly and I think the issue is a certificate problem that would be addressed in the firmware but since my printer looks to the old DNS of HPeprinter.com which is down I am stuck on the older firmware. I am not having an issue with any cartridges HP or no HP so that is a plus. I can at least use this as printer wireless or wired. When it comes to non HP ink or any ink for that matter the Printer has trouble telling which ink is out so it says damage or replaces I just take them out and shake them the ones that have liquid are good the ones that are dry usually bad. I have had to take a little cloth with some rubbing alcohol on it to wipe the sensor on the ink and on the back of the print head because some ink got on them. This has helped with some of the sensor damage issues. I have gotten into the hidden system menu did a partial reset and a semi-full one and that did nothing still shows my printer cannot connect to the HP apps Eprint site to set up or do an update and that all must be because of the DNS pointing to an old site. I do work in IT and have a lot of influence when it comes to purchasing. When we make our big purchases this year it will be Xerox printers and Dell Computers. HP has lost a loyal customer in my book. Keep me posted if you find anything else out and good luck with the print head.

Matt

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.