Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please also check if you may have any Unknown Device within the Device Manager as listed below, I won't be surprised if the Windows Update error is related:

https://support.hp.com/si-en/document/c05214529

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

As advised by you I clicked HP Technical support  and a page opened showing the hp support locations all over the world, but there is no location shown for USA. Can you pls check up and inform me so that your technical support expert can look into this issue.

DR Rao

HP Recommended

I too have this problem.

I successfully installed my Laserjet Pro M15w, using file downloaded from HP:

LJM14-M17_UWL_Basicx64_46.2.2636.exe

However, device manager shows the driver version for USB connected M15w is: 26.106.1.6932

When I ran Windows Update several days later, it shows it tried to perform this driver update:

Hewlett-Packard - USB - 6/1/2018 12:00:00 AM - 46.2.2631.18152

But it failed, saying:

"A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep trying to install."

"RETRY" in a button...

Pressing retry, only causes it to repeat.

According to Windows Update history it has installed that update 19 times so far.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

HP Recommended

Dr Rao,

RE: United States Technical support icon missing

I was able to see it when I reduced my browser's font to 90%.

It will take you to:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

HP Recommended

Ciao, anche io ho lo stesso problema. Posso chiederti se hai risolto e come?

Io ho cercato di nascondere l'aggiornamento ma non funziona...

Grazie

HP Recommended

Your message:

Ciao, anche io ho lo stesso problema. Posso chiederti se hai risolto e come?

Io ho cercato di nascondere l'aggiornamento ma non funziona...

Grazie

Google translation of your message:

Hi, I also have the same problem. Can I ask you if you have solved it and how?

I tried to hide the update but it doesn't work ...

Thanks

My answer:

I continue having Windows Update performing the update and then showing the message:

"A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep trying to install."

Afterwards, checking View Update History/Drivers shows that the HP USB driver was installed that day.

So, I think we are stuck with Windows pointing at HP and HP pointing at Windows as the source of the problem.

My answer translated by Google translate:

Continuo ad avere Windows Update che esegue l'aggiornamento e quindi mostra il messaggio:

"Un driver corrente sul tuo PC potrebbe essere migliore del driver che stiamo tentando di installare. Continueremo a provare a installarlo."

Successivamente, controllando Visualizza cronologia aggiornamenti / driver mostra che il driver USB HP è stato installato quel giorno.

Quindi, penso che siamo bloccati con Windows che punta a HP e HP che punta a Windows come fonte del problema.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.