Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about cartridges, Click here to check it out!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8710 All-in-One Printer

As with older post below,  along with 193 other people with the same problem, all of a sudden recently, the Smart app won't open. The splash screen displays, then it asks if it's OK to change Windows (or whatever) and I select Yes and the splash screen comes back. This occurs repeatedly. I did the latest Windows Update. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Smart app. My printer is 'working' as indicated in my Device settings. This is not good. Is there any workable solution to this problem? Thanks!

EDIT: Also, my network is fine and I can 'air print' directly from my iPhone. OK weird! It just finished loading the app!! Perhaps because I printed from my iPhone! Maybe that dislodged some blockage? I  just scanned a four page document successfully and closed and attempted to reopened the app...  it's stuck in the loop again! I don't have time now to do anything else. Help!

UPDATE: 2 minutes later, the app opened again, but the 'Do you want to make a change to Windows?' pop-up came up about three more times rapidly after it opened. It's messed up, yo.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Smart-App-won-t-launch-stuck-loading...

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Lonestar3 

Welcome to the HP Community --

True - The HP Smart app (Windows) recently updated.

Current version at this writing:  151.1.1087.0

Reminder

It is important that every device is using the latest version of the HP Smart app for that device type.

Check / Update >> Every device (computer(s) and mobile) where HP Smart is installed should be running the latest version of the HP Smart application available for that device platform (Operating System / Version).

AND

The printer and device (computer, tablet, phone) where HP Smart is running should be on the same network.

Relevant to Windows

If the issue is related to the account data stored in HP Smart application, then Resetting the app can help.

>>> If you wish to do so, or you are not sure where the source of the problem is located, read / step through the first suggestions, else scroll down to section Reset HP Smart Application

Start...

================== =====================

- Printer Application - HP Smart – Check / Reset -

NOTE > If you skip one or more steps and things don’t work, consider going back and adding the missed checkpoints to your procedure.

Start

Reminder

It is important that every device is using the latest version of the HP Smart app for that device type.

Check / Update >> Every device (computer(s) and mobile) where HP Smart is installed should be running the latest version of the HP Smart application available for that device platform (Operating System / Version).

AND

The printer and device (computer, tablet, phone) where HP Smart is running should be on the same network.

That might be enough…

Stop if everything is now working.

Next,

Restart Everything, including the router that controls your network

That might be enough (at least short term) -- check...

Next,

Windows

Check / Run Windows Updates > Install any pending updates

Next,

If not previously completed,

Restart everything, including the router that controls your network.

Can’t stand it?  Consider:  Restart computer(s) and printer.

Next,

Open and Check HP Smart

If the HP Smart opens but does not work or hangs partly open: 

Close the HP Smart App

If you cannot close HP Smart: Restart the computer and log in

Do not start the HP Smart yet.

No Joy?

Windows - Reset HP Smart Application

Next,

Reset the HP Smart application - This action removes the app data.

>> You will have to Add Printer after the Reset is complete.

How to...

Windows 10 -

Settings > Apps > Apps and Features

OR

Windows 11 - 

Settings > Apps > Installed Apps

Next,

Search / Find HP Smart in the apps list

Open Advanced options > Reset the app

Restart the computer and log in

Open HP Smart > Sign in > Add Printer(s)

If the app Reset does not work by itself, add:

Next,

Uninstall the HP Smart App from Settings > Apps > Apps and Features / Installed Apps

Restart the computer and log in

“Get” a new copy of the HP Smart application from the Microsoft Store

Open HP Smart > Sign in > Add Printer(s)

HP_Smart_Win_Apps_Reset_2HP_Smart_Win_Apps_Reset_2

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.