Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP officejet 5255
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hello, my HP smart app was working well with the HP officejet 5255. However today I tried to scan and the HP smart app does not respond. I get the dreaded spinning wheel on my iMac and the HP smart app freezes. I have to force quit the app to get out of it.

I tried restarting my imac. I deleted and re-installed the HP smart app and still can't figure out why my HP smart app is acting this way! Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My suggestion at this point would be to delete the support files for HP Smart and set up the printer again.

Did you originally download the HP Smart app from the Mac App Store or from HP.com?

If you installed it from hp.com then you can delete /Users/username/Library/Application Support/HP Smart.

Then delete the app in the Applications folder and download HP Smart from Mac App Store.

If you downloaded it from the app store you can basically reset it back to zero by deleting:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.hp.SmartMac

Then relaunch the app from the Applications folder and go through setup again.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

My suggestion at this point would be to delete the support files for HP Smart and set up the printer again.

Did you originally download the HP Smart app from the Mac App Store or from HP.com?

If you installed it from hp.com then you can delete /Users/username/Library/Application Support/HP Smart.

Then delete the app in the Applications folder and download HP Smart from Mac App Store.

If you downloaded it from the app store you can basically reset it back to zero by deleting:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.hp.SmartMac

Then relaunch the app from the Applications folder and go through setup again.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

It worked, thank you!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.