Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer

I have been happy with my Officejet Pro 8740 for many years  until about 5 weeks ago.

As a side note, I am a HP instant ink customer.

No longer can I connect to the HP software.

I can still print and copy fine.

I can use a third-party scanning software like Paperscan and the HP computer will scan.

However, everything I try to connect to the 8740 software, it says I'm not connected and gives the wireless/wired/usb choices, which ultimately fails.

The exact screen is: "Device setup & Software ... Use the options below to add or change device connections or software ... Connect a new device ... Click this link to connect a new device to this computer using a USB cable or over a network."

I've tried wireless (typically I'm wired) but neither work.  I've then manually the IP address, and still doesn't work.  I even bought a brand new router (which works fine for everything else except the HP printer)

I've done every troubleshooting under the sun: uninstall/reinstall .... go back twice to mid-October Windows clone of my C drive ere it did work (and then a few days later it stopped working again.  It makes no sense.  

Any help is appreciated....

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@TV107 

Welcome to the HP Community Forum.

Great printer - love the 8740.

If there is any good news... At the point when you backtracked to an earlier Restore Point (or clone install), the printer worked for a time.  This might be an indication that the printer is OK (doesn't need a massive reset) and that the source of the problem is somewhere in pieces of the printer software that are perhaps stuck in the File System.  Gibberish?  Ignore it.

The following might help.

First thing I'd do is reconnect that printer to the network using your Ethernet - it's a better option, after all.

You can certainly leave in place the manual / static IP address -- good to have.

Next thing I'd do is Restart everything, including the router that controls the network.

The only point here is to get the printer onto the network - if you wish, ping it to make sure "all is well".

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Printer Software

The general solution:

• Restart everything, including the router that controls your network
  • Uninstall the full driver printer software from Programs and Features
  • Restart the computer and log in
  • For "Driver Unavailable" or other odd "will not install" issues >> Check and Remove any remaining pieces of printer software from the file system.  Scroll down to References / Resources (below):  Complete the steps in the example > "Check and Remove", then come back...
  • If changes are made, Restart the computer and log in
  • Install a new copy of the full driver printer software
  • Restart the computer and log in

NOTE: 

The Web Pack Installation method described below is available for your printer and a supported version of Windows

The following sections include Extra Details -

Read / Use / Ignore as suits your situation...

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Printer Software – Full Driver Installation – Details / Examples

In general, there are two methods to install the full driver printer software.

Easy Start Software is a wrapper that will find and install your printer software – If you want to install the full driver software, you do need to select the "Full Driver" when the option is presented.

The Web Pack Installation Package method uses the full driver installation package for your printer.  This method is dependent on the Web Pack package being available for your system / OS.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Method - Use the Easy Start Software to Install HP Smart and / or the Full Feature / Full Driver Software

Easy Start Installation Package - Information and Download / Save

• Open  Home Page - HP Easy Start >> Click to open Category Software and Drivers 
  • Download and Save the current version of the Easy Start Software installation package  to install your print software

Easy Start can be used to install your printer software or the HP Smart application.

If the HP Smart Application is (already) Uninstalled, Use Easy Start OR Get a new copy of the application from the Microsoft Store

If you want to install the full driver printer software, choose the "Full Software and Drivers" option during the Easy Start installation procedure.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

OR

Method - Use the full Web Pack Installation package to install the Full Feature / Full Driver Software

Find, Download-Save-Install

• Open your printer Home Page > Support Website   
  • Open Category Software and Drivers > If the Installation package is not listed on the mail level, check in sub-category Software-Utility
  • The title  of the package might include the words “Full Feature”, “Full Solution”, “Print and Scan Driver”, or similar wording.
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

For your Printer

Full Feature Software - Web Pack Installation Package - Information and Download

HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Print and Scan Driver and Accessories 

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

Basic Instructions - Install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver printer software

Preparation

• If the printer software is still / already installed, Uninstall the printer software  from Control Panel > icon view > Programs and Features > Restart the computer and log in – Reference Uninstall HP printer software and drivers

• >>> After the printer software is uninstalled, check that the printer is not still lurking in Devices and Printers.  If the printer is listed, Right-Click on the printer and "Remove" > Restart the computer and sign in.

Continuing

• If using VPN, shut it off to install software.  NOTE >> If you don’t know what this is, you are not using a VPN – ignore this part.

• Reminder:  If using USB cable between printer and computer, disconnect the cable before installing software.  Later... Connect the cable when instructed (near the end of the installation procedure).

• Observation:  It is possible (assuming your Wireless Network is stable) that using a Wireless connection to install the printer software might work better than using an Ethernet Connection.   Personal choice - the Wireless connection method is recommended when you face insurmountable issues installing the software.

Installation

• Download and Save the Full Feature Software Web Pack installation package or the Easy Start Software
  • Open File Explorer
  • Navigate to the folder in which you saved the installation file  (likely Downloads)
  • Right-Click on the installation package and “Run as Administrator
  • After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in

If using Easy Start

• Skip any extra software / offers you do not want – Wording varies as does the number of times you have to “skip” or opt-out of various options.
  • When asked, opt for "Full Software and Drivers" (exact wording might vary).
  • Easy_Start_Full_Driver_2Easy_Start_Full_Driver_2

• If, after the Full Software and Drivers option is selected, the installation terminates (suddenly stops and disappears – never comes back): Open your Downloads folder > Look for and Right-Click on the full Web installation package and “Run as Administrator

NOTES

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Windows 11

Settings > Bluetooth & devices > Printers and scanners

Scroll down > Switch OFF Let Windows manage my default printer

Scroll up > Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Set as Default

Windows 10

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

References / Resources

"Check and Remove" - Capture and Remove left over pieces of printer software after the software is uninstalled

Check_and_Remove_Section_1Check_and_Remove_Section_1

General Example - Full Feature Software - Installed - Windows

Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_9Programs_and_Features_Printer_Desktop_Icons_9

General Example - Parts to the Printer Software - Windows

Parts_to_Printer_Software_6Parts_to_Printer_Software_6

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic Subtopic

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), Supplies, and more

Open

HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community:

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The printer pings fine from the CMD line.

Did the uninstall, downloaded and ran HP Easy Start.  At the beginning, it says printer founde with correct IP address, BUT once you go through all the install steps (for full setup), it fails when it tries to connect -- "unable to find the device" when I reenter the same IP address...

Did the uninstall, deleted all the HP folders from Programdata as well (also deleted the HP stuff from driverstore/filerespostiroy in windows), and tried again with no luck.

Also tried with older versions of the full webpack from 2017 and 2020 I still had on my machine.

It will work from USB connection, not wired or wireless.

PC network name (SSID): Unable to retrieve ----> how do I fix this??

HP Recommended

@TV107 

@TV107 wrote:

----> how do I fix this??

Yes, that is the question.

The SSID information can be accessed using the Embedded Web Server (EWS)

Yes, the IPv4 information can be managed from this location.

If you edit the setup, Apply saves the change(s) and breaks the connection.

Wait about 15 seconds and then open a new EWS session.

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Network > Wired (802.3) > IPv4 Configuration

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Network > Wireless (802.11) > IPv4 Configuration

And

Tab Network > Wireless (802.11) > Advanced

In Advanced

Having named SSID / networks separately for each bandwidth at the router level,

Select and connect to the correct SSID / network name for the bandwidth you are using.

What else?

No Joy?

The "fix", if there is one, is likely one or both of the first two suggestions...

If the source of the issue lies with the printer hardware > Reset the printer

I do not work for HP --"Not HP" people cannot post the deeper reset information.

If it becomes needful, I can submit a request that someone take a look.

If the source of the issue lies with the system (computer) > Reload Windows

Yes, this can be a "thing" - No, everyone hates this solution - Yes, reloading the OS almost always works

Another source of good information here, including the TCP/IP suggestion:

Restart Everything, including the router that controls your network

Next,

Known solutions, presented in the order to be completed / considered

HP printer is offline or not responding - Windows / Mac  

If not already tried >> Possibly effective 

• Set the printer back to network defaults - let the printer sit.
  • Log into the router, clear the printer information - check for assigned Mac / IP pairs (if applicable for your router) and remove if found -- Apply the changes - While signed in, check for any Firmware updates and apply if needed.  Restart the router.
  • If you do use a static / manual IP assignment, sign into the router, add the necessary information.
  • Uninstall the printer software from the system - sure, and remove any "left over" bits in the various hiding places
  • Restart everything, including the router
  • Try installing the printer software using the Web Pack Installation package.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

DId a full network reset on the printer, no luck.

I have a mesh router so it's one band name for all, but I checked the router settings and it's connecting on the 2.5 band (changing channel also didn't work).  And ethernet doesn't even use the bands.

Static IP didn't help.

Won't use HP smart software -- too gimmicky

Stuck to using third-party software for scanning on WIA, not TWAIN

It's going to be inconvenient not being able to quick scan just from the device itself.

Thanks for helping --- unfortunately at the point of giving up, Windows refresh probably  the only solution  (maybe I could test that and be sure on a spare SSD and install windows & printer software but it's fruitless unless i reinstall all my programs/settings and I don't have the mental energy or the time to do that)

HP Recommended

@TV107 

I'd hold off on the reloading Windows -- the source of the issue is likely the network...

Mesh networks can be tricky for devices that do not support features.

The printer does not hop between frequencies.

This printer requires a 2.4GHz connection.

The printer expects a unique SSID network name for the SSID / frequency you want it to use.

Wireless Center > Section: Common Questions > Topic Printer no longer works on network

Section:  Mesh Networks

Excerpted

If you are using a Mesh Network, the frequency band that the printer uses will be picked by the Mesh Network. (You cannot set the frequency.) Both frequency bands use the same network name (SSID) and so cannot be separately selected.

For a Mesh Network, you will connect to the Wi-Fi Network name (the "SSID") and the network will decide the frequency.

Data sheet - HP OfficeJet Pro 8710/8720/8730/8740 All-in-One Printer series 

Wireless operations are compatible with 2.4 GHz routers only

Connectivity, Std1 USB 2.0; 1 Host USB; 1 Ethernet; 1 Wireless 802.11b/g/n; 2 RJ-11 modem ports

Additional connection information, here:

User Guide

If you wish to do so, consider using Wi-Fi Direct.

Additional information, here:

Wireless printing center  > Section Printer Setup > Topic Wi-Fi Direct

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I have decided for now to use the USB to scan and the network to print.  It seemed to be a good solution, the only difference being it takes 5 seconds longer to load the 8740 software as I need to select USB over network.  However, the problem is in Windows 10---"This PC" Devices and drives" when the HP is plugged in, it appears before the Local DIsk (C:) which is very annoying as I don't want to sort it any other any other than default...so I thought I could do a simple rename and move the HP name further down the alphabet but no-->Windows blocks me from changing the name (can't add or remove any letter).  See picture attached.  Any help is appreciated in changing printer's name or removing all together from "devices and drives"...

hphelp.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.