Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6500 - E709a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been running Windows 10 on my desktop and using HP Solution Center for 3 years or more, through upgrade from Win 7.  It has been working nicely when I last used it to scan documents approx 2 months ago.  I just now went to use it and get "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete", plus a couple of more messages.  I uninstalled HP solution center and the printer SW and drivers, reinstalled and did not solve the problem.

There are a number of older posts that talked about Microsoft security updates that interfered with HP Solution Center and by removing the security update, HP Solution Center worked. 

Is it possible that a recent MS security update in Sept or Oct 2019 has the same problem?  There were several security updates done.  I keep my PC Windows 10 always updated.

The 6500 printer has been working nicely over a hard wired network.  Printing works well.  I do want to continue to use the

scanner function, which requires the HP Solution Center software that is not launching.

Any ideas to try?

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

HP Solution Center 14 definitely still works with Windows 10 version 1909. 

I also began getting the "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete" error in Windows 10 for no apparent reason.  I have an HP Photosmart C6280 all-in-one printer.  In retrospect I believe the trouble started when my computer was updated from Windows 10 1809 to 1903 in June.  At the same time I also began having issues with the printer occasionally printing blank pages that actually had print (multi-page documents, single-page documents, sometimes even the printer's Test Page print utility).  The printer driver would sometimes spontaneously forget it had the duplex unit also.

I tried most of the many suggested workarounds/fixes, including the ones you've mentioned.  Nothing fixed the problem in my case.  The one suggestion I did not try was installing the HP driver software from a new admin user account.  While those fixes seem to help a few people I get the impression they DO NOT solve the problem for most.  There are lots of people reporting the same problem over time, so I doubt it's unique to any particular version of Windows 10.

THE SOLUTION FOR MY CASE: Refresh Windows using the option to keep your personal files.  Go to Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset This PC "Get started" button > Keep my files.  This will reinstall Windows and remove third party software, but keeps your personal files and your much of your Windows settings.  I did this and then ran Windows Update to verify all updates were applied.  Next I reinstalled the HP printer drivers before doing anything else.  Voila!  HP Solution Center now works correctly and the printing issues disappeared.  I saw a single report of someone else doing this and solving their similar problem also, after trying all of the other suggestions.

I conclude something fundamental got screwed up between the Windows / HP printer interface that's not fixable with printer driver reinstalls.  Windows needs to be reinstalled.  If you do the Windows refresh be prepared to reinstall your third party software.  You may want to export your web browser bookmarks to the Documents or Downloads folder since the browsers will be removed during the refresh (those folders and contents are saved).  You can then import those bookmarks back into the newly installed browsers after the refresh.  I had no other issues other than resetting minor configuration preferences in a couple of places.  It's some work but it's worth it if you still like your HP printer and HP Solution Center.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

on the system tray, can you see the HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon listed?

Figure 1:

c01367004

Figure 2:

c01779175

Try following the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting Fix Scanning.

May you see any difference?

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/HPPSdr.exe

If not, what is the shown result by the utility? what failure is detected?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your assistance.

Yes HP Digital Imaging Monitor icon is listed correctly.  Right click on Launch/Show HP Solution Center results in same error messages.

Print and Can Doctor;

Fix Scan finds a problem with device in registry and recommends uninstall software and reinstalling, which I have actually done several times.  It finds that some of the software elements are also missing.

I am able to successfully scan using both Windows Fax and Scan application and also the downloaded free HP Scan Application Resources obtained from Microsoft store.

There appears to be something preventing the HP Solution Center from properly installing?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I once again removed the Officejet 6500 and HP Solution Center software and reinstalled. 

The HP Solution Center install progresses to near the end and is stuck with image of spinning disc in "configuring product".

HP Recommended

Hi,

After 8-10 minutes of spinning disc in "configuring product", an error dialog box came up, with installation unsuccessful.  The details button produced the attached picture.

HP6500 HP Solution Center install error log.jpg

HP Recommended

HP Solution Center 14 definitely still works with Windows 10 version 1909. 

I also began getting the "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete" error in Windows 10 for no apparent reason.  I have an HP Photosmart C6280 all-in-one printer.  In retrospect I believe the trouble started when my computer was updated from Windows 10 1809 to 1903 in June.  At the same time I also began having issues with the printer occasionally printing blank pages that actually had print (multi-page documents, single-page documents, sometimes even the printer's Test Page print utility).  The printer driver would sometimes spontaneously forget it had the duplex unit also.

I tried most of the many suggested workarounds/fixes, including the ones you've mentioned.  Nothing fixed the problem in my case.  The one suggestion I did not try was installing the HP driver software from a new admin user account.  While those fixes seem to help a few people I get the impression they DO NOT solve the problem for most.  There are lots of people reporting the same problem over time, so I doubt it's unique to any particular version of Windows 10.

THE SOLUTION FOR MY CASE: Refresh Windows using the option to keep your personal files.  Go to Start button > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset This PC "Get started" button > Keep my files.  This will reinstall Windows and remove third party software, but keeps your personal files and your much of your Windows settings.  I did this and then ran Windows Update to verify all updates were applied.  Next I reinstalled the HP printer drivers before doing anything else.  Voila!  HP Solution Center now works correctly and the printing issues disappeared.  I saw a single report of someone else doing this and solving their similar problem also, after trying all of the other suggestions.

I conclude something fundamental got screwed up between the Windows / HP printer interface that's not fixable with printer driver reinstalls.  Windows needs to be reinstalled.  If you do the Windows refresh be prepared to reinstall your third party software.  You may want to export your web browser bookmarks to the Documents or Downloads folder since the browsers will be removed during the refresh (those folders and contents are saved).  You can then import those bookmarks back into the newly installed browsers after the refresh.  I had no other issues other than resetting minor configuration preferences in a couple of places.  It's some work but it's worth it if you still like your HP printer and HP Solution Center.

HP Recommended

Hi Bluffwood,

Thank you for detailing your successful solution. It is good to know that there might be a solution.

This is a fairly major reinstall, considering all of the third party solutions.  I may need to do this to

house clean in the near future.

I have discovered several other work arounds that will enable scanning to be done.  These are free downloads

and appear to fullfill most of my scanning needs with this printer.

1.  HP Scan Application Resources - limited, but useful

2.  Windows Fax and Scan - more flexible and useful

3.  IfranView - very flexible scanning and editing of pictures.

I may update this in the future, if I do the Refresh Windows.

Cheers,

Mark Powell

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.