Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
?
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP.jpgI've been using HP Solution Center for 10 years.  Today when I opened it, I got the Window pictureed below.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it but got the same results (It was the same version).  I called HP and was basically told that it was because it was an old.  Does anyone know how to make it work again?   If you can't see the image it's an in a box, and an i in a circle.HP.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@JeffL2 

@JeffL2 wrote:

I've been using HP Solution Center for 10 years.  Today when I opened it, I got the Window pictured below.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it but got the same results (It was the same version).  I called HP and was basically told that it was because it was an old.  Does anyone know how to make it work again?

That is actually true - HP Solution Software is old - and it was written at a time when it seemed like Adobe Flash would be around forever.  Since that time (and for several years now), newer printer software does NOT depend on flash.

Anything "Solution Center" is "old" and has been basically unsupported for a long time.

There is hope... continue reading...

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to vermin who post phone numbers or email addresses.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

Flash Player is permanently disabled as of 12-Jan-2021.

The HP Solution center software is based on Flash:

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

A couple of possible solutions for Scan

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Example

Scan_and_Capture_Document-Photo_Settings_1Scan_and_Capture_Document-Photo_Settings_1

What else?

HP Scan Extended apparently still works for scanning and does not include a requirement for Flash.

The Caveat:  HPSE is perhaps dependent on the Full Feature Software (previously "HP Solution Center").

HP Scan Extended

• Download-Save-Install >  HP Scan Extended 
  • HPSE is a subset an older Full Feature Software suite. 
  • HPSE features are very similar to the HP Scan Software released after 2015.
  • Although HPSE appears to be a separate software, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the Full Feature Software.  The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing and using HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL:  Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Pin to Taskbar
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Send to Desktop (Create a Shortcut)
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Pin to Start

• HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  Might include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@JeffL2 

@JeffL2 wrote:

I've been using HP Solution Center for 10 years.  Today when I opened it, I got the Window pictured below.  I uninstalled and reinstalled it but got the same results (It was the same version).  I called HP and was basically told that it was because it was an old.  Does anyone know how to make it work again?

That is actually true - HP Solution Software is old - and it was written at a time when it seemed like Adobe Flash would be around forever.  Since that time (and for several years now), newer printer software does NOT depend on flash.

Anything "Solution Center" is "old" and has been basically unsupported for a long time.

There is hope... continue reading...

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to vermin who post phone numbers or email addresses.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

Flash Player is permanently disabled as of 12-Jan-2021.

The HP Solution center software is based on Flash:

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

A couple of possible solutions for Scan

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store (formally Windows Store) - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Example

Scan_and_Capture_Document-Photo_Settings_1Scan_and_Capture_Document-Photo_Settings_1

What else?

HP Scan Extended apparently still works for scanning and does not include a requirement for Flash.

The Caveat:  HPSE is perhaps dependent on the Full Feature Software (previously "HP Solution Center").

HP Scan Extended

• Download-Save-Install >  HP Scan Extended 
  • HPSE is a subset an older Full Feature Software suite. 
  • HPSE features are very similar to the HP Scan Software released after 2015.
  • Although HPSE appears to be a separate software, HPSE is dependent on the infrastructure provided by the Full Feature Software.  The Full Feature Software for your printer should be installed before installing and using HPSE.
  • OPTIONAL:  Add HP Scan Extended shortcut to Taskbar / Send to Desktop / Pin to Start
    • Open File Explorer > Navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Scan Extended\bin
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Pin to Taskbar
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Send to Desktop (Create a Shortcut)
    • Right-Click HPScan.exe > Select Pin to Start

• HP Scan Extended features include (and are not limited to): Single, Multiple scans, Image and PDF scans, Email as PDF / JPEG, Source selection, Page Size choices include Auto-Detect (extracts image / document boundary).  Might include OCR (Save as Editable Text).

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you Dragon,

I wasn't aware of the Flash connection.  That sucks!  I've installed both of you solutions and they both work, but The Solution Center had other functions like printer settings and tools.   I remember I could make the printer print in grey scale, the there was a cartridge cleaning tool.   Do you have any solutions for those?   

And my didn't my images appear in my post?  I see triangles.   Never mind, I see the image now.

HP Recommended

@JeffL2 

You are welcome.

Flash has not been tied to the software for a while now - just left over from years ago.

Ignore your images - they have to go through an approval process.

Those of us who  need to see images can do so when necessary...

I cannot really help with what old printers can - or won't - do.

If there is another way, the User Guide or one of the How-to documents for the printer should explain.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your HP device

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Upon further investigation, I found that the printer settings and tools that I was concerned about are alive and well in Windows Settings, Devices, Printers and Scanners.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Tig77 - Thanks for that link. Even though the suggestions previously posted work,  I like that solution you linked to the best since it will let me work the same way I had been forever.  I'm going to install that older version of Flash as soon as I get a chance.

UPDATE:  It didn't work.  As noted in many of the replies on that link, the old version will not install and shows and error message about a new version in Internet Explorer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.