Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6500 Wireless
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello together,

I feel like I have read forum messages for an entire evening. I know that Adobe Flash is no longer supported and got removed from Win10.

I have a perfectly fine working Officejet 6500 Wireless and beginning of 2021 I ran into the same issue with the HP Solution Center --> it would not start anymore and only show the "f" symbol.

I found the solution in the forum on how to run the actual printer/scanner/settings applications by command line and it worked on my existing PC.

Now I have a new PC. Instead of installing the old HP software package (incl. the drivers), I just set up a new printer in Win10. Printing works, but HP Scan and Capture won't find my Officejet 6500 Wireless. The HP website (and also the HP print and scan doctor) tells me that the old HP software package needs to be installed.

But installing the old HP software package will also install Adobe Flash, which I don't want to install due to it's phased out and a security risk.

Is there any option to get the basic drivers for the Officejet 6500 Wireless (E709n)?

By the way, I installed the old HP software package on my new Win10 PC and since 3 days the HP Solution Center works.....which probably also means that Adobe Flash is running, which I definitely don't want anymore.

The Windows Update for the removal of Adobe Flash apparently only removes Flash which has been part of a Windows installation, but not if it was installed through another source --> see here

So, do I understand correctly, that I have the following options:

1.) I don't install the old HP software package, but then I can only use my Officejet 6500 Wireless as printer and loose the scanner function.

2.) I do install the old HP software package and I get the full functionality, but have to life with the security risk of an unsupported Adobe Flash installation.

3.) I do install the old HP software package to have the necessary drivers installed, but then I uninstall Adobe Flash (......not exactly knowing what will be left from Flash on the PC) and then run the printer/scanner/settings applications by command line.

Is there no option to get the basic drivers without the installation of the old HP software package which will also cause the Adobe Flash installation?

Thanks for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@RosaBlue 

HP Solution Center needs Flash to run BUT as you know. Adobe stopped Flash late last year (Dec 2020). Please try following options

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02463264

also           https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printers-Knowledge-Base/HP-Solution-Center-not-working-Adobe-Flash-Pla...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello Banhien,

thanks for your reply. I had already read those websites you mentioned, but HP scan and capture only works when the HP printing software package has been installed. And this HP printing software package will install Adobe Flash again, but I want a solutoin without installing Adobe Flash. F lash is no further supported and a security problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.