Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I had an issue with my printer over and uninstalled my drivers and HP Smart software.  When I reinstalled, I was unable to get the driver installed through HP Smart and after additional guided troubleshooting, I was routed to HP Support. When I got to HP Support, I was requested my phone number and told a technician would call.

Less than 5 minutes later a technician called me and we started a LogMeIn session. After a few minutes of discussing my issue I was told that I needed a technical support person to help and was connected to another person.

While in the session another remote connect software was started, this was not an installed program so I was not to alarmed at this point, but I am always hyper aware when in a remote session.

We went to local services and I was shown that I had a lot of services that were stopped.

At this point they stated I had a virus and I said okay and was ready to go deal with it.

But then they started to take me through what a virus was and then wanted to prove that I had one.

At this point I was suspicious that this was not going the way I wanted and when I tried to explain that I was good I could take care if it, the tech support started getting disparaging about knowing everything.

At this point I asked for control of my computer so I could start shutting down the windows and they would not return control and was getting angry at me for not listening to him.

I was able to AltF4 my way out of the connection and shutdown my pc then hang up.  The tech then attempted to call me back multiple times.

The fact that HP put me in harm's way is unacceptable.  If this had been one of my parents or someone else dependent on the support service, they most likely would have succeeded in the scam. 

This is definitely the last time I will rely on HP Support for any assistance and will now direct my family to look elsewhere for any HP product.  This is unfortunate because until now I have been a fan for many years.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It is a 99 percent chance that you were on a scam site and not the official HP site. I have escalated your post to the moderators and someone may reach out to you for more details. HP expends a lot of resources trying to close down all these scam sites that constantly show up, pirate HP website elements to make their site look like the real thing and then prey on unsuspecting users.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It is a 99 percent chance that you were on a scam site and not the official HP site. I have escalated your post to the moderators and someone may reach out to you for more details. HP expends a lot of resources trying to close down all these scam sites that constantly show up, pirate HP website elements to make their site look like the real thing and then prey on unsuspecting users.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I am sorry, I was able to find that the page I went to was through a search result and was unable to get there from HP Smart. I went back through my browsing history, and I found that I was on https ://hpprintersupport.online/. 

Please disregard my rant above this was my fault and not the fault of HP.

HP Recommended

Same thing happened to me and I was scammed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.