Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

How to install 2605_FW_Update-20071108.dmg into HP Golor Laserjet 2605dn by usinf USB connector ?

HP Recommended

Error code 79 after the 2605fw_20120413.rfu firmware "update"

BTW: For all users who installed the 2012 problem firmware.  You need to go to the printer menu for Servce and set RFU ON before installing the downgrade.

As of this writing, I could not find the 20071108 firmware on the HP sites.  I found it here:

http://www.helpdrivers.com/printers/Hewlett_Packard/HP_Color_LaserJet_Printers/HP_Color_LaserJet_260...

For Mac OSX 10.8 users, I opened the dmg and went to the 2605_FW_Update-20071108.app/Contents/Resources directory and used the following command:

lpr -l jedi.11.15.allcodeflashsys.rfu

Correction: The printer was not back to normal then.  It only printed single pages.

Solution: I ordered a formatter board from AliExpress for a good price, waited a week, it came well-packed and could be new, and I have been printing normally for over a month.  I did not, and will not, try the newest firmware again.  I am going to report this firmware problem to my state Attorney General consumer complaints division.  I humbly recommend that everyone having this problem do likewise.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem but when I click on the download link to the old firmware, it tells me that it is no longer available. Can you tell me where I can find it or maybe send it to me? I just bought new toner cartiges for this thing and right now it is useless to me... 😞 Thank you in advance for your help with this.

P.S. I can't believe that HP is still allowing customers to download and install this obviously faulty upgrade. 😕

HP Recommended

Which operating system are you using?  I used the Mac OSX firmware downgrade and still have a copy of that that I could send.  I could try the others as well.  Is there a way we can exchange addresses without making them public, because I don't see an attachment link on this forum?  Yes, I have seen months of very angry posts related to this problem.  There is another blog that is even larger.

HP Recommended

You can download from the link below for windows firmware.

http://www.helpdrivers.com/english/download/

Robert

HP Recommended

You can download it from the link below for Windows firmware.

http://www.helpdrivers.com/english/download/

Robert

HP Recommended

You can find answaer form message#12.

HP Recommended

I cannot seem to resolve the 79 error on my 2605dn-have hundreds of dollars of toner cartridges in it.  I reinstalled the latest firmware and now it seems worse.   Are there any resolutions to this problem???

HP Recommended

I am sorry, but to get your issue more exposure I would suggest posting it in the commercial forums since this is a commercial printer. You can do this at http://h30499.www3.hp.com/hpeb/

I hope this helps.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

This fix is known to cure HP Error 79 issues and depending on your printer manufacture and model it may fix other error indicators. Some of the other symptoms of this issue may include the printer rebooting repeatedly. Hopefully this fix works for you and it take little time to try. Follow the instructions exact or have a trusted administrator complete the steps.   
Windows7 instructions

0. To save time you may wish to try only completing Step 6-7. If you cannot delete the files as explained in Step 6-7 then start at Step 1.
1. Go to Start menu and right click on Computer (My Computer on XP) and select Manage.
2. In the window that opens, click on the Services and Applications to open that list.
3. Click on Services to view all the services.
4. Double-click on the Print Spooler.
5. In the Print Spooler Properties window click the Stop button to temporary stop this service and leave this window open, you will close this window after the following 2 steps.

6. Open up Windows Explorer (Not Internet Explorer and not a browser). If you don’t know how to do this simply go to theStart menu and click Computer.
7. In the window go to the printer spool folder C:\Windows\System32\spool\PRINTERS and delete any files in the printer spool folder especially any shockwave files. Be sure not to accidently delete the folders.

Corrupt printer files or files made deliberately or found to confuse a printer may have somehow been sent or placed into the printer spool.

Common Issue: Error from four Shockwave files sent to “..\spool\PRINTERS” folder. For some reason a possible program bug in the HP Update Utility, a Windows bug, or a virus can place or send four shockwave files into the “..\spool\PRINTERS” folder. The four files are not printer files! When the Printer Spooler service sends the four files to printer the printer gets confused and gets Error 79 messages on my printer or perhaps some other error on your printer. It may be that it was a bug in the HP update tool, a combination bug between HP update and windows software, and virus could be likely too. Who cared anymore just get the printer fixed and this bad experience behind you!

8. In the Print Spooler Properties window click the Start button to restart this service and click the OK button to close this window.
9. Try printing again and best luck to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.