Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi Betty0610,

We tried, we are using win 10 LTSB so it may not have the correct ones. It was working but after updates, it doesn't want to take the print driver supplied on the HP website. Do you have any other drivers available?  Any universal ones ?

Craig

HP Recommended

@Chunter2020

Let's try adding the printer using IP address -

1. Select “Start” and type “printers” in the search box.

2. Choose “Printers & scanners“.

3. Select “Add a printer or scanner“.

4. Wait for the “The printer that I want isn’t listed” option to appear, then select it.

5. Select “Add a printer using a TCP/IP address or hostname” , then select “Next“.

6. Select “TCP/IP Device” in the “Device type” list.

7. Type the hostname or the IP address of the printer. Select “Next“. To find the IP address of the printer, touch the Wi-Fi icon on the printer's control panel. 

8. Windows should find the printer if the printer is on and configured correctly. You may have to specify more information. If prompted, Select the type of network adapter installed in the printer in the “Device Type” drop-down list. You can also click “Custom” to specify custom settings for the network printer. Select “Next“

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Try a creating a local account and install the drivers on that: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Becky, 

We have since replaced the machine and it's not working on this either. But it works on his home machine. 

Unfortunately there is only one driver available, i have tried the steps you mentioned previously and still doesn't work. Do you have any alternate drivers for that printer ?

HP Recommended

@Chunter2020
Thank you for posting back.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

Root level uninstall and reinstallation: 

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet Pro 8710 entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Reinstall printer drivers: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hp-smart/9wzdncrfhwlh?rtc=1&activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake

I have just tried your suggestion and completed each step but the printer comes back saying driver is unavailable after installing it using the HP SMART APP. 

Scanning is working fine! it's just printing. 

Any other ideas ?

HP Recommended

@Chunter2020 I appreciate your persistence, that said, I needed to know, do you have an antivirus program on that pc? its possible that's blocking the driver, could you disable and check if it works?

Also, try the below steps to completely remove the printer with the antivirus disabled, reinstall the drivers from the HP website to resolve this issue:

On Windows 10, you can also use the Print Management console to remove a printer you no longer use with these steps:

1. Open Control Panel.
  2. Click on System and Security.

3. Click on Administrative Tools.

4. Double-click the Print Management shortcut.

5. Under "Custom Filters," click on All Printers.
  6. Right-click the printer that you want to remove, and select the Delete option.

7. Click the Yes button.

After completing the steps, the printer that you removed will no longer be available to any user.

Install the new driver from the HP website: click here to download it.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, i tried these steps but still the same outcome, printer says driver is unavailable. Fax and scanner drivers install just not the print. 

I used 7Zip to extract the .exe installation and there is a folder located in the installation called drivers and it only has fax and scanner, could this be the reason? 

Craig

HP Recommended

It could be. 

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Betty0610 

When i right-click the printer there is no option for Printer Properties because there is no driver installed. Only scanner and scanner properties is available. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.