Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 5660 keeps stopping and giving the message "HP recommends ColorLok papers for best printing results".  I purchsed ColorLok paper, but get the same messages.  How do I prevent the printer from stopping printing and giving me this message?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Arnold298,

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I reviewed your post and I understand that you want to know how to prevent the error message.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you follow the below steps to resolve this issue.

• Under Settings in the Message Center in the HP Printer Utility.
  • Turn off Display HP Alerts.

If you continue to face the issue I recommend you follow the below steps.

• Open the Devices and Printers folder, right-click the HP printer, and then select Properties.
  • Click the Device Settings tab.
  • In the Installable Options section, set Printer Status Notification to either Enable or Disable.
  • Click OK.

Figure (example): Enable or disable Printer Status Notifications

The following conditions describe the possible situations that can enable or disable the Printer Status Notification setting in the driver's Device Settings properties.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have made no software or hardware changes to my computer.  Ran the troubleshooter for the HP Envy 5660 printer.  Only problem was that the printer cannot be contacted  over the network, although the printer does communicate wirelessly with the computer for printing, scanning etc.

You suggested going to the HP printer utilities to turn off HP Alerts.  However I do not know how to access the HP printer utility.

You also suggested enableing or disabling "Printer Status Notifications" in the printer propoerties section under Device Setting tab>Installable options, but there is no "Prineter Status Notification listed.

If you can get me to the HP Printer Utility I could try your first suggestion.

Thank you,

Arnold 298

HP Recommended

@Arnold298,

Thank you for your response and I really appreciate your efforts on trying the troubleshooting steps.

I would like to know what happens when you install a normal paper for copying/printing, do you get the error message?

Please Update the printer firmware 

• Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your product
  • Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

If the issue persists then we have to reset the printer back to original settings and check. I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Andy,

Thanks for your help in this matter.  No matter what kind of paper I install quite often when I click to print a document I get the error message "HP recommends Colorlok papers ffor best printing results".  I click OK and then it might print, or it may repeat the message sometimes several times befor I can get it to finally print.  I have tried ColorLok paper only with the same results.

I followed your directions to download and intall the latest printer firmware through HP Smart.  it infforms me that it is up to date.  I am still getting the error message.

Thank you,

Arnold298

HP Recommended

@Arnold298,

I really appreciate your efforts in trying all the troubleshooting steps mentioned. 

I would like to know if you get the same error message even when you copy something directly from the printer?

If the error message pops up on the printer screen, I'm sending out a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Community profile Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Andy,

Thanks again for your help.  I am away from my printer for about a week and will follow your instructions when back.

Thanks,

Arnold298

HP Recommended

@Arnold298,

Thanks for letting me know, please reach out to us at your convenient time.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

ANAND_ANDY
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.