Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I scanned to USB and then USB to printer.   Its a workaround but see if that helps until HP wants to jump in with some REAL solution! 

HP Recommended

try scanning to USB and then USB to computer.  See if that helps for now.   HP sucks at this.  LOTS of frustration! 

HP Recommended

I ended up scanning to USB, then USB to computer.  Its a work around until HP decides to fix this.  

HP Recommended

I scanned to USB and then moved USB to the computer.  Its was the only work-around until HP replies.  Good luck though!  What a "fun Monday". 

HP Recommended

I've reinstalled the app from the Microsoft store and the result is the same.  At one point I saw the screen with the scan and other buttons but got a never ending blue circle, so I tried the add a new printer button and it set off what we're all seeing.  The screen Do you want to make HP Smart better by sharing usage data?  I click yes, because they're going to anyway, and the same screen keeps reappearing.  I'm going to step away from the computer for now.  Sad, because I just loaded up with HP ink after they made the software detect cheaper ink a couple months or so ago.  At this point, I really think I need to find a non-HP printer after these issues.  Maybe I can sell the ink on eBay or something.    

HP Recommended

THREE WORKAROUNDS:

1)  Find "HP Scan and Capture" app on the microsoft store, download it and use it.  By far the easiest of the three workarounds.

2)  plug a USB flash drive into the printer, and from the printer's screen select "scan to USB"  then transfer the file from the flash drive back to your PC.  Huge thanks to those of you who figured this out this elegant workaround.  You saved my work day.   (Has anyone tried using a male-to-male USB cable to plug their laptop into the printer's USB port, and then scan to USB?)  
3)  On a PC (not Mac) Use the "Windows Fax and Scan" app,  which produces one picture file (JPG, PNG or BMP) for each page you scan.  You can then print or convert each picture to a PDF file.  If you have Acrobat Pro, you can then merge all the separate PDFs into one file.  This workaround is the opposite of elegant.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/install-and-use-a-scanner-in-windows-10-4fd9f33a-25b6-15... 

HP Recommended

I found another app called HP Scan and Capture on the Microsoft store and installed that.  You can select documents and the scanner works and a box pops up on the screen and you can see the scan and add pages like the smart app did.  There just isn't anything other than the scan capability.  So I'll go with this fix.  I'll try the HP Smart app later and delete it if this persists.  

HP Recommended

The Windows Fax and Scan app is a good work around, but the HP Scan and Capture is more functional.  Thanks very much for replying.  

HP Recommended

I stepped away from the computer for about 20 minutes and tried the HP Smart app, got the screen and clicked yes on the data sharing and got the blue circle again but then the app opened a minute or so later and started working again.  I quit out of it and reopened the app twice, it connects slowly but does pop up after 15 seconds or so and that sharing screen is no longer there.  Weird, but looks like its working again.  I recommend getting the HP Scan and Capture app, it pops up much faster if you are just trying to scan something.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.