Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp laserjet pro mfp m29w
macOS 11.0 Big Sur

I could never get my hp laserjet pro mfp m29w to scan even after downloading latest software. It didn't work under Catalina nor will it work under Big Sur. It will print with my iMac USB and with my  Macbook Pro wirelessly.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow the latest firmware update utility to ensure your pritner firmware is up to date:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/FW_CPE_Consumer/M28-M31_1D/HP_Laserjet_Pro_M28_M31_Multifu...

Once completing the update, restart both the printer and then Mac and print a Configuration Report:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05874648

Make sure the firmware datecode is up to date and listed as 20200609

Now try scanning from Printers & Scanners and check for any difference, also check HP Easy Scan for any difference:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hp-easy-scan/id967004861?mt=12

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. The software update your recommended did not work. Instead it installed some thing called HP Laserjet 3020 which of course is not my printer. My printer now cannot be found by HP Smart or my Printer Scanner in preferences. In the meantime, the printer's on light just keeps flashing. I have not had any luck reloading the MFPM29w.

Unfortunately I won't be able to act on your advice in this condition.

Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

With the printer turned on, unplug the power cable from the back of the printer.

Wait 60 seconds, then reconnect the printer back to the power and check for any difference.

If the same persists, do you only have the Mac or may have a Windows PC too? and if you have any such, what OS version is there?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Unfortunately unplugging the printer for over 1 minute didn't help. The control panel LED display (wireless version) and the power button continue to blink. The wireless button cannot be turned on.

I only have an iMac with Big Sur and a Macbook Pro with Big Sur. Our 2 iPads used to be able to AirPrint but because the wireless no longer works they can't print.

Even unplugging the USB cord doesn't help. The printer can no longer copy.

I will have to contact Apple and see if I can exit Big Sur and return to Catalina.

By switching to Big Sur I can no longer print to my HP Deskjet HP 6940 as well.

HP Recommended

I spent an hour and a half with Apple. The problem is the firmware you suggested is wrong. Please send me the proper firmware so I can use my printer.

I'd also appreciate it if I could talk to a tech person. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi SslomiL, I wonder if you have any more advice to repair the firmware for my printer? Currently I can no longer use the printer because the firmware you recommended will not allow my computer to communicate with my printer. Any help would be appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

ToonerMike

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.