Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello Betty, 

Still looking forward to your reply on my question...

Thank you,

Gad

HP Recommended

Perform these steps on both the Computers 🙂

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Betty,

I'm afraid your procedure is not suitable to my home network. My home network is not wireless, both computers are cable-connected to the router.

So what kind of port should I add, and what will be its properties?

HP Recommended

You can connect only one Computer at a time via the USB cable.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Printer sharing is a feature of the operating system, try following these steps and check if that work, else I suggest checking with Microsoft or a PC technician, such configuration relies on the operating system and computer settings, and your home network configuration, not much with the printer software itself.

Generally, I recommend connecting the printer to your network with Ethernet or Wirelessly, which allows more capabilities such as scanning and Faxing, as your printer provides network capabilities too, then simply install the printer software on both PCs.

If you prefer to use printer sharing, on the host computer, where the USB is attached, open the Control Panel and then select Network and Internet and open the Network and Sharing Center.

Ensure that right below the network name you see Home or Work Network, if a Public Network is shown click it and change it to Home Network.

On the side pane, click on Change advanced sharing settings.

Ensure that File and Printer Sharing is enabled.

From the Control Panel select Devices and Printers, right-click the printer icon and select Printer Properties.

Within the Sharing tab, ensure that Sharing is enabled for the printer.

On the Client Windows 10 computer, click the Start menu and then the gear (settings) icon.

Click Network & Internet and ensure that the top network type is set as Private and not as Public, if it is set to Public click the Change connection properties link and select Private, then close this window.

Next, download and run below drivers:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL54362/bi-131207-2/OJ6830_74.exe

As soon as the software extracts, press No if a UAC prompt appear, or press Continue once and then Cancel.

Click the Start button and type %temp% into the search bar, then open the shown Temp folder.

Open the latest HP installation folder which begins with 7z (e.g. 7zs1234)
* Click the top address bar and copy this path for later use,

Right-click the Start menu and select Run.

Paste the following and press OK:

printui /s /t2

Click the Add button and then press Next twice

Click Have Disk and paste the path of the installation folder which holds the INF file. confirm any prompt and complete the wizard to add the printer driver to your system.

Right-click the Start button and select Run.

Type \\gadi and press OK.

Can you access the host PC now? can you see the printer listed?

If not, what router do you use? is it your own or provided by the network provider?

If it is a router provided by your ISP, please clarify who is your provider, as I'm from Israel too, I'm quite familiar with the local ISP's routers and the advantages and limitations of each.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

@Betty0610 wrote:

You can connect only one Computer at a time via the USB cable.

Yes, I know. Each computers  has its own printer connected via USB, the computers are on the same home network (cables, not wireless), and I want computer A to recognize the printer connected to computer B. I know it's possible, but I don't know how.

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL wrote:

Right-click the Start button and select Run.

Type \\gadi and press OK.

Can you access the host PC now? can you see the printer listed?

Hello Shlomi,

Everything went fine until the point where I have to run \\gadi, I get the following error message:

You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher.

I must also apologize for a mistake in the information I initially supplied, the host computer is Windows XP, not 7 (yes, I know it's obsolete, but it still works and it still hosts my HP6830 printer...).

Could this be the reason for the security problem in the above-mentioned error message? How do I overcome it?

My ISP is Netvision+Bezeq, and I'm using their router (adb vv-5822).

Thanks,

Gadi

HP Recommended

Hi Gadi,

This is very helpful information, Windows XP is a completely different story and the error information clarifies a lot.

On your Windows 10 PC, ensure that SMBv1 is enabled for your computer, it will not be able to access a Windows XP host with SMBv1 disabled due to the backward compatibility needs.

From the Control Panel select Uninstall a Program, then press on Turn Windows features on or off and check SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support among any of its sub-options, then follow the steps on screen to enable the feature and, restart the PC and check for any difference.

Note: Microsoft has released security update MS17-010 that resolves the SMB version 1 vulnerability used by the WannaCry attack, please ensure it is installed on your computer:

Shlomi

HP Recommended

@ShlomiL wrote:

On your Windows 10 PC, ensure that SMBv1 is enabled for your computer, it will not be able to access a Windows XP host with SMBv1 disabled due to the backward compatibility needs.

Shlomi

Hi Shlomi

I pressed Win + R , then typed optionalfeatures.exe, then found SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support in the list.  Automatic removal is checked, SMB1 Server is checked, SMB1 Client is unchecked. Should I check it  and then restart my computer?

Thanks,

Gadi

HP Recommended
Spoiler
  • Automatic removal of SMBv1 after 15 days is a one-time operation. If an administrator re-installs SMBv1, no further attempts will be made to uninstall it.

Ensure that both Server and Client options are checked, I do suggest disable the Automatic Removal option which will disable SMBv1, 15 days after the first activation of SMBv1. if you keep this option checked you may need to re-enable SMBv1 after 15 days of this first setup.

You may find the expected behavior of SMBv1 in the last Windows 10 versions described below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/file-server/troubleshoot/smbv1-not-installed...

Shlomi

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.