Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

At one point I was able to print from my laptop, but while trying to get my scanning function working that no longer works either.  I want to start from scratch but can't figure out how to reset the printer to factory settings.  Any suggestions?

121 REPLIES 121
HP Recommended

Hi @Shspowens

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

Before you try a reset on the printer, could you try making a copy?

I have sent you a private message with the steps to restore your printer to defaults.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

It was nice of you to send the original poster the instructions to reset his printer to the factory defaults by email. I'm forced to deduce that this information is a proprietary secret or Trump declared it an item of National Security. Why else would you simply not post the instructions for all to see? That would have been of a great assistance as I sit here at 10:15 pm EST when most likely there is no one taking support questions and leaving me hanging when I need to use my printer for financial issues. You have been a great help and I hope that this method of assisting customers gets noticed by someone with common sense either in a QA report , a word cloud, or someone working in the janitorial department with more sense than a highly trained customer support representative - BTW, that's something called sarcasm.

EDIT: Please explain how COVID19 and the trend of well run technology companies quickly established WFH polices is even mentioned in your response? It's like coping out when there was no need to. Ooh, the scary virus means we must work in mysterious ways. Obviously, someone, whether it be you, your boss, or some C level Peter Principle person who gets paid too much and by default is a Trump supporter because it's all about protecting wealth and piss on the everyone else.

HP Recommended

Hi @HarryBush,

I'd like to help!

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset, and re-initialize the printer. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I'm also reading this thread and, like the commenter above me, wondering why this information cannot be posted publicly. I'm unswayed by your assertion that using the instructions on the wrong printer could brick the device, on account of the fact that the printer model is specified in the header of this thread, so it's fair to assume that it would only be used by people with that model of printer. (You could even post it with a warning to only use these instructions on that model.) 

I'm here neeing to know how to reset my printer before I give it to a friend, and that information is not readily available.  I'm sure you'll PM it to me at some point, but I think it's really silly that it's treated as top-secret information. 

HP Recommended

Hi @jaherrick,

I'd like to help!

I understand your concern, I will put ut across to the team.

For now, I have sent you the reset instructions in a private message.

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I did not receive the private message. (Screenshot below of my empty inbox.)  I did find instruction online for a different model HP printer, used them, and successfully reset the printer. 

The irony of this situation is  not lost on me.

You won't post this information publicly out of fear that somebody might use it on the wrong model printer, leaving a vacuum of information in which I'm very tempted to try the instructions for a different wrong model of printer, on mine. 

I'm fortunate that it worked out, but your policy of not posting information that should be publicly available to owners of this device... is terrible policy.

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 9.36.59 AM.jpg

HP Recommended

Please check your spam folder.

I understand your concern I will definitely put it across to the team.

But, thank you for keeping us posted

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

HP Recommended

Are you referring to a spam folder in the HP private messaging system, or in my own email?  The HP messaging system has no "Spam" folder; it only has "Inbox" and "Sent".   I also checked my email spam folder and found nothing. 

HP Recommended

I have shared the instructions again in a private message for future reference. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.