Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
MAC
macOS 10.15 Catalina

New DeskJet only prints in black, can't find an option to print in colour!!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @aileen2021,

I'd like to help!

I understand you are unable to print in color.

Try the below suggestions -

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Change Mac print settings

Change print settings on your Mac from the app you are printing from.

1. Open a document, photo, or webpage, click File > Print to open the Print window.

2. Make sure your printer is selected, and then click Show Details if it displays to access the print settings available for your printer.

Print dialog with details shown

3. Click the drop-down menu in the center of the window to change the settings category and access all available settings.

Using the drop-down menu in the center of the window to access print settings

• Color or black and white: Select or remove the selection from Black & White on the main dialog. The Presets menu also includes color and black and white options.

You may also refer to -HP print settings guide (Windows, Mac)

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Yes" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I tried downloading the HP firmware but it just hung, I have a 4G router, no access to fibre and I live in Spain.

My computer software is up to date & I run MacOS Catalina 10.15.7

There is no option to change from black & white or black & white draft in the print option..

My new printer 2720e does not print in colour! Although the alignment printed in colour!

Thank you for your time, I am ready to throw it out the window!

HP Recommended

JG none of these solutions helped - I can not download HP FIRMWARE could it be that I am on a 4G network, if so then the printer isn’t any good to me! Not fit for purpose. 

Thank you for any further help you may be able to give? 

HP Recommended

Try the below suggestions -

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Uninstall HP Easy Start

• Click on the Spotlight icon and type HP Uninstaller or by opening HP Easy Start.
  • Click on Continue to uninstall the software.
  • When prompted for password, type in your system password
  • You can also uninstall by opening HP Easy Start.

Download HP Easy Start and install the printer.

You can also install the HP Smart App and print and scan using the app.

You may also add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Add the Air Print printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using Air Print by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.
    • If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for Air Print. Click the printer name, click the minus sign "-" to delete the printer, click the plus sign "+"click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.
    • If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.
  3. Confirm Air Print or Secure Air Print displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then click Print.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I have again tried to download the firmware this time using the HP App - I got as far as 'advanced settings' and it wouldn't let me enter the pin, the app crashed, I opened it again and it now says to run a diagnosis & fix! I have done this three times and each time it comes back with the same error!

Printer queue issue is not fixed (there is nothing in the queue)

Printer Offline issue not fixed ( the printer is online and using the same network as my computer. 

This is now getting beyond ridiculous - please give me a simple answer to get to my printer settings

Thank you

Aileen

HP Recommended

To assist better -

1. Were you able to install HP Easy start?
  2. Were you able to add the printer with the airprint driver?
  3. Did you receive the error with HP Smart?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

1) Yes I installed easy start with no problems

2) Yes the printer works but only black, there is no option to choose colour in the print function, just black & white or black & white draft!

3) I didn't receive an error when it failed.  I tried to open it again, there was an error  but I can't remember what the error said, in the end, my internet gave me an error with reference to the printer, I unplugged the printer and the 4G router was then OK

Hope this helps 

HP Recommended

To assist better-

1)Are you able to make color copies using the printer?

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page -

1. Open HP Smart and select your printer.

2. Click Printer Reports, or click Tools and then click Printer Reports.

The list of reports displays.

3. Select Print Quality Report.

Post the Print Quality Diagnostic page here so we can help you further. 

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix the " Print Quality Issues" issue applicable for your printer -  Print Quality Issues

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

HP Recommended

Why do you keep sending the same replies when I've told you they DON'T work.... should I return the printer to the shop. I certainly think you have damaged your reputation and I hope I don't get the same reply yet again - THEY DON"T WORK

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.