Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127fw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The software required for me to scan double-sided with my HP LaserJet Pro MFP M127f will not install.  Had Windows 10 recently re-installed on my EliteBook 840 G6.  I get a "fatal error" message at the installation phase.  I've received advice on getting this software before and followed the same steps now, but get the problem just described.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Biney1

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty 0610:

Thanks very much for your help.  It didn't work, and I don't expect you to pursue this over Christmas weekend.  But since I spent most of the afternoon on this, and some key points are still fresh in my mind, let me lay some of them out now.  We can pursue this on Monday if you're willing.

1.  I think I did everything right as you instructed.  I'm not 100% sure I did, but there's independent evidence that I did (see  3 below).

2.  I basically had the same problem I had before.  Everything would download and the installer loaded.  (I received a notification that the .exe file was already on the machine, but replaced it with the download.)  But during the third "install" step, I got the same "fatal error" message I alluded to in my original post.  I tried connecting to the printer both as a new installation (I think at the second step) and by letting the system identify my printer.  Same result in both cases.

3.  I don't have a CD drive on this laptop, but I do on the old one (also HP, and the one onto which I initially installed the printer software without issue.)  And I still have the original disk that came with the printer.  So I copied that onto a flash drive, and tried the procedure from there.  The steps were identical, but so were the results:  at the third "install" step, I received a "fatal error" message.

4.  My partner has a new (refurbished) laptop and I've wanted to give her the same software as was on the original printer installation disk.  The idea is for her to be able to print and scan as I used to be able to.  So I tried installing it on her machine from the flash drive, and there was no problem--i.e. no "fatal error."  There were some other difficulties, which I don't fully understand.  But let's put those to one side for the moment.

5.  I had a similar problem when I first got this new laptop (before I reinstalled Windows 10), and an HP consultant pointed me not only to the software you did, but to this:  ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi.  I tried getting this again, but because of the "fatal error" I had no joy.  But in any case, it should have been on the original HP printer disk which I used on my old laptop without any difficulty.  And, as per 3, which I was able to put onto my new laptop.

6.  Final complication:  the "fatal error" might not matter because I seem to be able to "add" the scanner to my printers and scanners list in Windows 10.  (And I did so on my partner's laptop as well.)  But despite the printer/scanner being switched on and connected to our home (wireless) network, when I click what looks to be the proper "scan" icon (not the one in HP Smart), it indicates the "HP Imaging Device is not found."

That should confuse enough for now I guess.  As I say, I don't think I can face this over the weekend and wouldn't expect you to.  But perhaps on Monday we can see if we can get to the bottom of this.  Thanks and have a great Christmas,

Biney1

HP Recommended

@Biney1

This might require remote access to your computer to fix this issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.