Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M477fdw

i want to reset the admin password of my printer M477fdw as i forgot the admin password. Can you someone please provide instructions on how to reset or remove the admin password so that i can do the security settings without entering the password?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

That's on page 97 of the user guide in the section Advanced configuration with HP Embedded Web Server (EWS) and HP Device Toolbox (Windows)

You can download the guide from the manuals area and it is also on your computer as a .chm file:-

64 bit Windows

"C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477\LJCPMFPM477_use_enww.chm"

or

32 bit Windows

"C:\Program Files\HP\HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477\LJCPMFPM477_use_enww.chm"

All the best,

Denis

HP Recommended

I could get to EWS webpage but when i click on other tabs (i.e. System) on EWS page, its asking for username & password which i don't have or know.

HK2104_0-1622331385560.png

HP Recommended

1  I do not get that demand for an existing password [I have never set one].

2  On this HP Support page

https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/wireless-printing

there is a button labelled Find your EWS/Admin password that says

- the default username is admin

- an existing password is not recoverable.

[It also makes a reference to checking labels on the printer for default passwords but no such label exists on mine]

3  Perhaps you have saved the password in one of your browsers and can therefore use that to get in after entering the username admin?

4 I came across one suggested method [by Reskape] of resetting the password - resetting the whole printer.

Password Reset HP M477fdw - HPCommunity

- NVRAM initialization looks, to me, to be exactly what you need.

- Do note the short additional post by Reskape underneath the NVRAM initialization post.

Best of luck,

Denis

HP Recommended

I also found the procedure[s] in the printer's Troubleshooting manual pages 191, 192.

{I couldn't find a direct HP link to it.}

I notice that it differentiates between

NVRAM initialization

and

Super NVRAM initialization

The difference in procedures matches the main post by Reskape  and the short additional post following that.  I find the consistency reassuring.

Best of luck,

Denis

HP Recommended

Have you been able to make any progress?

What was using the [Super] NVRAM initialization procedure like?

Denis

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.