Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 4655
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently had to refresh a computer (Windows 10) and re-install 3rd party software.  I applied all the available drivers and programs for my Officejet 4655 per the HP Support Assistant.  When I go to print, and choose print preferences, I am:

a) seeing no choice for color or b&w - the printer prints b&w only from this computer

b) seeing no choice for automatic duplex - only manual is available

My other computers are working properly.  This includes an old iMac (connected to printer a month ago) and an HP Laptop (connected to printer a few years ago).  It seems like the driver is incorrect for the model.  I uninstalled and re-installed the printer and all software again, and had the same result.  The HP Support Assistant properly recognizes the printer. Is there a place I can check my driver and make sure the right one is installed.  Or is there a different issue?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Ray

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RayF123 

It is likely a combination of things going on.

There are usually individual manual fixes - and there is a Doctor version that may clean up most of the problems, including the missing duplex setting.

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

Version = V5.0.6

HPPSdr_5.0.6.exe

NOTES – Contributed by ShlomiL

Paraphrased

Connection Issues

• Print and Scan Doctor Version 5.0.6 creates a secondary queue for printing with TCP/IP port.

Loss of Color Printing

• If the color printing is not yet offered, try printing using the newly added print queue. 
  • Verify results, then set the newly added printer as the default.

Details: Windows10 - No Color option available when printing to a network connected printer

Check

If necessary, Adjust the “Default” printing device (Default Printer)

Open Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers

Right-Click on the printer NOT marked as “Scan Only / DO NOT DELETE”

Set printer as Default

Example – Printers listed in Devices and Printers

Set “Default” Printer = HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3

Keep in Device list = Scan Only -HP OfficeJet Pro 9020 series PCL-3 (Network)-DO NOT DELETE

=========================================================================

If everything finally works but the "duplexer" is still complaining, recheck / adjust:

Duplex feature installed? (Model Dependent)

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click Printer > Printer Properties > tab Device Settings >

Under Installable Options > Automatic Duplexing Unit > Select / Verify Installed > OK

=========================================================================

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet 4655 All-in-One Printer

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Thankful when someone responds to your plea for help? Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You!

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  I did already run print doctor and it found no issues.  The control panel also showed color and duplex were available. 

I finally solved the problem and it appears to be an HP installation bug of some kind.

After deleting everything and re-installing one more time from my administrator account, I realized that there was another administrator account on the same system which was used for the original installation a year or more ago.  I logged on to that account and deleted and updated everything again and this time it worked.  Hours of frustration finally rewarded with everything working!

HP Recommended

@RayF123 

You are welcome.

Interesting.

There is a fix for permission / ownership issue - the symptoms are usually different.

Thanks for posting back.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.