Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi there,

I'm using my parents' old LaserJet 1200 printer, but I have some problems:

• It won't print in Duplex
  • I can select to print multiple pages per sheet, but then he will simple resize one page and print the rest on normal size on individual pages

This are my specifications:

• Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
  • LaserJet 1200 series
  • HP Universal Printer PCL6 driver
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I have exactly the same  problem with LJ 1220 PCL5 ...

HP Recommended

This printer is a manual duplex printer. For more informtion on manual duplexing, see pg. 71 of the Users Guide found on hp.com.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

When I select print on "both sides" it prints all pages as it would be in a one side print ...

I know how manual duplex printing works ...

Stefano

HP Recommended

There are 2 different places that you can set settings for duplex printing. One is in the printer properties/preferences settings from your devices and printers folder and the other is from your application print preferences.  Make sure you have set the default settings in the printer properties/preferences settings in your devices and printers folder. Then make sure that the application print settings are set before you get ready to print.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

HP Recommended

I did set the settings to manual duplex printing. I did set it to print multiple pages per sheet. It doesn't print with either of those options though.

HP Recommended

Of course I selected the options for duplex printing. I was using douplex printing on Vista and everything worked ok. Then bought a new windows 7 PC and could not use douplex printing anymore. I also tried to uninstall and reinstall the PCL5 driver but did not solve.

There are no printer related errors in the event viewer.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  LJ 1200 manually duplexed fine under XP Pro, Under Windows 7 pro, I've tried everything all the other forum members tried.  Nothing works.  Also, the 'help' from HP staffers is worthless (as always).

Larry

ps:  If I remember my actions correctly, I installed various flavors of the PCL6 driver and they didn't work at all.  I'm now back to running the PCL5 and / or Windows 7 native driver (both drivers appear to be behind my printer icon.

HP Recommended

At I am sorry to have to say this but the link that you provided in your reply that you said pointed to the Users Guide was not for the LaserJet 1200 printer, it was for the 1220 All-in-One printer. This issue is with the LaserJet 1200. Its manuals (11 of them to be exact) are at HP LaserJet 1200 Printer series.

HP Recommended

In Windows-XP and Windows-98 before it as I recall, the driver for this printer had the capability to print manual duplex, this disappeared for me when I upgraded to Windows-7, although from what I have read in other threads it was not available in Windows-Vista either. Since I never attached my LaserJet 1200 to a computer running Windows-Vista I cannot verify that.

So from my perspective it appears that beginning with the Windows-Vista driver the folks at HP forgot how to implement manual duplex mode and decided to only provide duplex capability if the printer has the hardware to perform that function. Although I suspect that the decision to no longer support manual duplex mode was made to drive people to purchase newer printers with built-in duplex capability.

For me that is an unfortunate turn of events. I used the duplex mode frequently. What I really miss is the capability to print booklets in manual duplex mode. For me, this is a good reason to keep a computer running Windows-XP. If it were not for that I would probably completely abondon Windows-XP now that I have a system that is capable of running Windows-10 at a decent speed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.