Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet 1320
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Updated to the Windows Creator Update last night and suddenly my LaserJet 1320 stopped working. I get the following error:

"LaserJet 1320 is an older USB device and might not work with USB 3.0"

And when I look in the Printers and Scanners menu it shows the LaserJet 1320 listed but underneath it says "Driver not available"

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling drivers about a dozen times and read a ton of forum posts but nothing has worked. How do I get this printer to start working again?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,
Please follow the steps below and check if that may resolve the problem:

**Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to delete reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6. Restart your computer.
7. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Please let me know the results,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi,
Please follow the steps below and check if that may resolve the problem:

**Be aware that if you have other printers installed on your PC, those will need to be reinstalled too once completing these steps.

1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.
2. Backup your registry prior making any registry changes:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724
3. Update your registry using the Reg file below (that will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1
4. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service
5. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to delete reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4...
6. Restart your computer.
7. Reinstall the HP Software and check for any difference

Please let me know the results,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thank you Shlomi! Your post fixed my printer 😃

HP Recommended

Didn't work for me.... tried 3 times and each time I get 'Driver is unavailable' in the 'printers and scanners' option in the settings menu. 😞

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Thanks friend! It worked for me! i tried so many times, different things, but it really helped me! Now its working just fine!!

What i did

1- Installed the program

2- manual printer shearch

3- Selected the HP port

4- Selected the updated driver

5- not shared printer option

6- tested.. Worked!!!!!!

Para brasileiros:

Instale o software disponibilizado no link ai do amigo

Vá até procura manual (software de instalaçao aberto)

selecione a porta da hp

Selecione o driver mais atualizado (tá escrito updated)

não compartilhe a impressora...

Envie uma página de teste!!!!!

Tudo deve funcionar perfeito!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Are there any possibility/plans to get updated drivers for HP 1320? We are still using several ones and the current driver is too unstable/complicated  in Windows 10 (1803) and maybe the next release (1809) too?

HP Recommended

I installed the driver you pointed to and can install an "HP Universal Printing PCL 5" or "HP Universal Printing PCL 5 (v6.1.0)" but that doesn't seem to have got me any closer to installing my HP Laserjet 1320. It still shows as "Driver is unavailable"  in my list of printers and there is no option to add a driver only to remove device. What is the next step?

HP Recommended

Use the HP Universal Printing PCL 5 link as provided and watch this youtube tutorial,  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_hUiUCMCJw follow it step by step, you will install the drive.

HP Recommended

Kudos to your effort. i used the link and it worked for me like magic. My printing problem has been resolved now. Thanks a lot... Yolo

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.