Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet CP1025
Other
The CP1025 is docked to my home network via USB to either a Time Capsule or an AirPort Express. Always tested both plus direct connection USB to MacBook.

Followed some previous tipps from this forum that made me uninstall all preinstalled printer drivers via the HP Uninstaller and then reinstall them.

Works:
Printing on old MacBook Pro Mid 2010 running High Sierra
Installed printer: HP LaserJet CP1025, 2.0.20120620
Printer docked to the AirPort Express

Doesn't work:
Printing on new MacBook Pro M1 2020 running Big Sur 11.2.1
Locates the printer as: Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet CP1025, type Bonjour
Printer docked to the AirPort Express

Tried both tools: HP Easy Start and HP Easy Admin
Both find or list the printer, but then don't find software for it. Both tell me to visit the HP Website to look for product solutions.

Also tried the HP Smart for Desktop app, loaded via the App Store. It found my printer and after some work it said, I would be ready for printing. Then guided me through the standard „add printer“ way, but turns out, there haven’t been provided any drivers. Deinstalled the app again.

Downloaded and installed "HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS“ via this article I googled (posted Dec 11, 2020):
Installs and finds the same printer driver as on the old MacBook (2.0.20120620)

Did a reset on the printing system and finally managed to set up the printer with the old driver mentioned.

When trying to print, it immediately brings the error message „Stopped - filter failed“ in the waiting list
No matter if the printer is docked to the AirPort Express, the Time Capsule or directly via USB to the MacBook

Also exchanged all cables.

Tried a standard PCL driver, too (HP LaserJet Series PCL 4/5). The test print ran through the waiting list (without the filter error message), then vanished as if it was regularly done, but the printer remained silent.

Any idea anyone? Thanks for all help, very much appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi @D3nnisBo,

I'd like to help!

Try updating mac and printer firmware

To update the printer's firmware, refer - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

To update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Uninstall HP Easy Start

• Click on Spotlight icon and type HP Uninstaller or by opening HP Easy Start.
  • Click on Continue to uninstall the software.
  • When prompted for Password, type in your system password
  • You can also uninstall by opening HP Easy Start.

Download HP Easy Start and install the printer.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

thanks for your friendly welcome and for your help so far. Unfortunately my issue could not be solved yet. Let me walk you through what I experienced following your steps:

Updating Mac: Done. Big Sur on my MBP M1 is up to date as of today (current version 11.2.2).

Updating Printer Firmware (current version is 2.0.20120620):

Found a suitable firmware update for the printer series: LJCP1020_FW_Upgrade_20201023.dmg

Available only for macOS 10.14 or lower but not for macOS 11

Tried to do the update with my old MacBook Pro (running macOS 10.13). The HP Firmware Update Utility started but could not find the printer, even when I connected it directly to the MacBook via USB (while printing worked).

Uninstalling Easy Start: worked as described

Downloading Easy Start and installing printer:
Found and downloaded Easy Start 2.10.0.201112. Installed. Finds and recognizes the printer (network attached), but during the following search no software for the device can be found by the tool. Recommends to visit hp.com/support.

I'm still shrugging my shoulders here.

HP Recommended

Could you go into printer & scanners and check if the printer is added?

Have you tried looking using the printer model?

Were you able to print?

Let me know!

HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

to hopefully answer your questions first: The printer was added and deinstalled a couple of times, so it was listed under "printer & scanners". The printer model he finds during installation is the right one, and my MacBook finds the printer at the right location.

Meanwhile I brought a Windows 10 laptop from the office and managed to do an update on the printer's firmware with that (version 20201012 as of Nov 3, 2020), so we should be up to date here now, too. Unfortunately with no effect on my MacBook M1 issue.

Then I downloaded this driver set from the Apple support website:
HP Printer Drivers v5.1 for macOS (posted: Dec 11, 2020)
https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1**bleep**?locale=en_US

It contains at least the same driver that also runs on my old MacBook (HP LaserJet CP1025, 2.0.20120620), but with no effect. (Tbh: I had this one installed before already.)

On the same Apple page there is a link to – I guess – a list of printers that are supported by the drivers: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201465

The LJ CP1025 is not listed here, so I'm afraid, my new MacBook might not be able to use the printer at all?! At least not until HP releases a dedicated macOS 11 driver for the CP1025 series.

These are some noticeable lines from the printing error log (irrelevant lines have been deleted here):

PID 4351 (/Library/Printers/hp/laserjet/cp1020series/hpcp1020filter.plugin/Contents/Resources/hpcp1020) crashed on signal 11.
Sent 0 bytes...
printer-state-message="Filter failed"
printer-state-reasons=none
Job stopped due to filter errors; please consult the /private/var/log/cups/error_log file for details.

If you think, the full log might give some more helpful insights, I'd be happy to share.

That's my current state with still no positive result.

HP Recommended

You may try and use Gutenprint (formerly called Gimp-Print) provides open-source basic print drivers for many printers that would otherwise not be supported in Mac OS X. To see if your printer is supported, go to Gutenprint drivers for more information.

NOTE: Gutenprint drivers are not supported by HP or Apple.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Hi Jay_G24,

thanks for the Gutenberg suggestion. Tried the most recent drivers installation and connected my printer using several provided drivers (since one for my very exact model was not provided). Unfortunately with still no access. Mostly my print jobs have been sent to the printer, which then remained silent.

I'm gaining the conviction that I will have to hope and wait for a dedicated driver being published by hp. Not sure this will ever happen for my old printer model to work with my new MacBook model 😞

Thanks for your great energy, Jay_G24. Very much appreciated!

Dennis

HP Recommended

You're welcome:)

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to HP Support in your region for further assistance.

Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks Jay_G24. Will try to get a one-on-one support contact somehow like you suggested. Haven't found where I could get in touch though, yet, but will look for more options during the weekend. Thanks again for your help!

HP Recommended

You're welcome 🙂

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.