Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I am using an iMac running Mohave (10.14.6). The Laserject M227dw is connected by LAN.

Two problems:

1. I can't get the driver update to run. 

I downloaded HP_LaserJet_Pro_M277_Series_FW_Update_20200623.dmg

and opened it.  When I tried to run HP Firmware Updater.app  the window hangs up (with the little circle icon spinning endlessly) on "Device Discovery."  I let it spin for 15 minutes, and it never resolved.  There are no error messages. It just doesn't ever finish this step.  (NOTE: Prior to attempting to update the driver I successfully ran HP_Easy_Start.app and restarted the computer and the printer.)

2. I wanted to update the driver because my printer won't print PDF or JPEG documents that are exported from Affinity Photo, nor will it print a Word document using that same exported JPEG. What happens is the job shows up in the print queue, sits there for a while, and then disappears without having printed anything. There are no error messages; it just doesn't print after pretending it is going to. Since I just got Affinity Photo recently, and I last updated my drivers when I got the printer several years ago, I thought it would be good to update the drivers. But if there is a different solution, please let me know!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Storysmith,

I'd like to help!

Let's try a power reset on the printer

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Try and update Mac, try these steps - How to update the software on your Mac

Try and update the firmware-HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

• Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

While you respond to that, Add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using AirPrint by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for AirPrint. Click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, go to the Frequently asked questions in this document to resolve connection issues, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

3. Confirm AirPrint or Secure AirPrint displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

Figure : AirPrint displays in the Use menu

Select AirPrint from the Use menu
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then click Print.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Storysmith,

I'd like to help!

Let's try a power reset on the printer

Reset the product

• With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  • Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  • Wait at least 60 seconds.
  • Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  • Reconnect the power cord to the printer.
  • Turn the printer on. HP recommends plugging the printer directly into a wall outlet.

Try and update the firmware-HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

• Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

While you respond to that, Add the AirPrint printer to the Mac printer queue

Confirm you are using AirPrint by adding the printer in System Preferences.

1. Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

Figure : Example of the Printers & Scanners window

Example of the Printers & Scanners window
  2. Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, and then do one of the following steps.

• If your printer is listed, remove and re-add the printer to confirm it is set up for AirPrint. Click the printer name, click the minus sign  to delete the printer, click the plus sign , click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed, click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the name of your printer, and then continue to the next step.

• If your printer is not listed in the Add Printer or Scanner window, go to the Frequently asked questions in this document to resolve connection issues, try to add the printer again, and then continue to the next step.

3. Confirm AirPrint or Secure AirPrint displays in the Use or Print Using menu, and then click Add.

Figure : AirPrint displays in the Use menu

Select AirPrint from the Use menu
  4. Open a document or photo, click File, and then click Print.

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I got stuck half way through your instructions, as follows.

I did "reset" the printer by unplugging the power cord while the printer was on, and followed your instructions. I didn't need to turn the printer back on when I plugged the cord back in, because the printer turned itself on when I plugged the cord back in.

Then you said:

The only update is to update the OS to Catalina. I have not moved to Catalina yet, I am still on Mohave. I do not yet want to move to Catalina. (All other updates were already completed before I wrote about this problem.) Do you think I must be on Catalina for my printer to work??

Second you said:

On the linked page, step 2 says: Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads. But this link results in a Error 404 (page not found).  So I can't get there from here.  Do you have another link to get to the driver downloads?

HP Recommended

Could you try the link on a different browser?

HP Recommended

Yes, you are right this doesn't work in Safari and works in Firefox.

But now we are going in circles. I again downloaded 

HP_LaserJet_Pro_M277_Series_FW_Update_20200623.dmg

(as I described I did in my original message).

When I open and attempt to run the downloaded .dmg, the HP Firmware Updater window opens.

As I described in my original message, the spinning icon spins forever on the step "Device Discovery." This never resolves. So we are back to my original question. I do appreciate that you are trying to help me. I am sure my frustration at still being in the same place shows through.

HP Recommended

P.S. And just to give you a little more detail, the Continue button is greyed out.  The Cancel button is not greyed out.  There is a checkbox for "Add Device Manually." If I check that box I can look into the dropdown menu, which has choices of IPv4, IPv6, and "Host or Bonjour Domain Name" but I don't know what any of that means, so I unchecked the box again.

HP Recommended

Let's try a reset on the printer -

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

HP Recommended

Hooray!  I did the reset that you instructed me to do in the private message.  And then I came back to this message and deleted and re-added the printer (and selected AirPrint as you instructed) and it printed!

HP Recommended

I'm not sure whether I picked the right place to say "Accept Solution" because this green highlighted section only worked AFTER the reset instructions that you sent in the private message.  The solution required both steps.

HP Recommended

I am glad the issue is resolved, the reset instructions cannot be shared in public.

Because it is part of our solution it works.

As you have already mentioned in the public, members do know how to reach us for the reset steps.

Thank you for trying and promptly getting back 

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Please click “Accepted Solution” on my public post if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.