Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M274
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello from germany,

in my company we have 52x "HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M274" and since we changed our operating system from windows 7 x64 to windows 10 x64 the hp scan tool, especially the function "scan pdf and send via mail" does not work anymore. - We only get an error message that "no installed mail program can be detected". - We use IBM Notes 10.0.1 Fixpack 2 on our devices, which worked fine with hp scan tool and "send to mail"-function in windows 7.

I checked that "ibm notes" is set as default mail application in the windows 10 default apps settings, and i also checked successfully that the integrated windows mail function "right click" -> "send to" -> "mail recipient" is working fine and opens a new mail with attachment in our ibm notes application.

So at the moment i see only a problem with the hp scan software not detecting IBM notes as email application correctly. - We have installed the latest "complete driver pack" available on the hp download page for the M274. - So no idea why the software does not recognize the mail program correctly.

I will attach some screenshots which shows the behavior and some details.

Scan Driver.png

win10_sendenan.png

win10_standardapps.png

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @TBoel

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

IBM notes is not an email client. Have you tried using any different email client like Yahoo/Gmail and check if that works?

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix scanning'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Reinstall the updated driver from HP Support site

Clean reinstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers

1.  In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
  2.  Select your HP Printer 
  3.  Select Uninstall 
  4.  In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
  5.  In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
  6.  Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 
  7.  Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
  8.  Click on the “Drivers” tab 
  9.  Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
  10.  Select Ok 
  11.  Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
  12.  Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

unfortunately your tips are not useful for us. When you state "ibm notes" is not an email client, this is wrong. - Of course, IBM notes is an email client. But google or yahoo, which you mentioned instead, these are NO email clients, only (web-)mail providers. So google and yahoo (web-)mail will not work with the hp scan program/driver, but an installed desktop client like Microsoft Outlook or IBM Notes should work perfectly. (And as i mentioned, in windows 7 we had no issues with the hp scan program/driver and the recognization of ibm notes as email program/application). So this is a software bug in the hp scan program/tool itself and needs a fix or workaround, only a hp software developer can provide...

All other provided solutions are also not helping/useful, as you see we are a business user with a lot of HP M274 printers and hundreds of widnwos 10 desktops, and we see this behavior on every device, so it is a major bug and reinstall the driver is not helping. - The only solution will be, to update/patch the hp scan tool itself to recognize an installed ibm notes 10 mail application/client as an "email program", what in fact notes is... - The only problem i see is that the hp scan program does not detect the installed ibm notes desktop application as email program in Windows 10, which is wrong.

So what i need is a bugfix for that incorrect hp scan tool/program behavior.

HP Recommended

@TBoel, thank you for the response. 

Scan to email can be setup if you are using Gmail or Yahoo email service. Kindly refer to this document for more info. 

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction with our HP Support team.

I would request you to contact them for further assistance.

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar,

you are correct, when i want to setup "scan to mail" locally at the printer google mail or yahoo are an option, but i don't want to setup this at the printer: I or our company members want to use the hp scan tool/driver with ibm notes, and this is not possible.

The second option you mentioned, i don't know if i can get official HP support from the "contacthp" site, when all of our 52x printers are out of warranty !? Is this possible to claim a bugfix to the scan software even without a valid warranty of the printer itself ?- This is why i choose the way to contact hp through this community forum... - I would guess without a valid warranty i will get stuck to get support !?

HP Recommended

@TBoel

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.