Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

https://we.tl/t-D6bEyPxus1

can be downloaded from this FTP link – available for 7 days before auto deleted.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the old firmware. now the printer is working properly again.

HP Recommended

Seriously thank you all so much, especially Pjr2 for hosting the file. I just spent an hour in the support queue and chatted with a guy named Manish from HP who couldn't solve this. He literally said that this firmware patch breaks old cartridges and spent half the conversation chastising me for not having HP brand toner. (not kidding, I can upload the transcript) I asked him if he could help me downgrade the firmware and he spent 10-15 minutes doing  something before replying that he "couldn't find anything helpful" but like, bro this issue is documented on HP's own forums! I wanna know where the heck he was looking cuz it sure wasn't here. Anyway, thanks again, it worked like a charm. (definitely HAS TO BE DONE via USB not over network connection)

HP Recommended

any hope of a link for a Mac version? 

HP Recommended

Doubtful, as it seems there intention was to break the printers in the first place I'd guess that convenience in fixing them is not a priority for HP. My suggestion would be to bootcamp or run a temporary windows VM to run this firmware downgrade executable. (since you only need it for about 15 minutes i'd say use a trial version of windows, free for a month) I believe there are programs to run .exe on macOS but i don't think they are free and not sure how it would handle trying to access the printer over USB through a different OS than the application was written for.

HP Recommended

see my update/comments - I've posted a link to a FTP that allows rolling back the firmware

HP Recommended

Pjr2.

Thanks so much for the old firmware - it's nice to have my printer working again.  BTW, I am using authorized cartridges and the printer bricked because of the new firmware anyway.  Terrible procedure by HP...

HP Recommended

Where did you find that?  I've looked everywhere

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I'm a MAC user and this isn't working... does anyone have any ideas on how to get this printer back on line with the old firmware?

HP Recommended

I found this site with all the drivers and firmware: https://driver-hp.net/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m280-m281-driver/

I was able to finally get it loaded (my printer was so jacked up it took like 5 tries to get it to be "findable") and everything seems to be okay again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.