Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart C4680
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Since upgrading my mac to Catalina (OS X 10.15.7) I  can neither print, scan nor open the HP printer utility.

I can see the printer is connected by USB by using the "System Report" menu within "About this mac". When I tried deleting the printer configuration and adding it back in the printer under "Printers and Scanners" the printer is found but I get "An error occurred while trying to add the selected device".

I went to the HP support page for drivers and tried to download the latest printer driver - i.e. version 5.1

It is listed as:

- filename "HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dmg"

- file size: 572.4Mb

- release date: August 4th 2020

What I download looks like this:

- filename "HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dmg"

- file size: 600Mb

- inside the dmg file the installer "HewlettPackardPrinterDrivers.pkg" was created on October 12 2017 and is 583.2Mb alone

When I try to run the installer I get: '"Software Update" certificate has expired' and the expiry date is 2019 October 24.

This doesn't look very up-to-date. It doesn't look safe to run either.

Can you please point me at an up-to-date driver for the HP Photosmart C4680 that works against OS X Catalina?

Screenshot 2020-10-23 at 02.00.58.pngScreenshot 2020-10-23 at 02.01.29.png

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Mine worked a few days ago and now nothing is working. I'm currently using the driver for 4600 series but you can only print in black and white so thats not the solution. They'll need to fix that.

Greets Hannes

HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart C7280 Printer. It stopped printing and scanning yesterday. 10/23/20

I have Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7

This error displays when I try to print. 

"One or more components of the HP printing software are corrupted or missing. The print job cannot be completed. To fix this situation, HP recommends reinstalling the print driver software." 

This error displays when attempting a scan. "Failed to open a connection to the device. (-21345)

I installed the latest HP printer driver software for the Photosmart C7280 printer series on my MacBook Air. No change. 

HP Recommended

I got the same message....

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue. Started getting the error "One or more components of the HP printing software are corrupted or missing."  I have had Catalina for awhile with no issues.  I uninstalled the printer and attempted to reinstall and found the same issue with the certificate, and trying to open the software installer I got:  

Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 9.32.44 PM.png

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with the my HP Photosmart C4680 now not printing with the updated MAC software 10.15.7- please advise what to do.  Any print job stays on pause and says either something is missing or corrupted with the printer.  I also was guided to download the HP software and tried but it still does not work. 

HP Recommended

After posting 2 days ago, when unable to print, then unable to reinstall my HP C4680, I signed on to see if anything has changed--my printer is back on my computer and I seem to have no trouble printing. Hope everyone else's problem disappeared as mysteriously as it had appeared as well!

HP Recommended

My printer works... Yay. 

HP Recommended

what have you done that it works now? mine still does't work 😞

HP Recommended

Like Shirley MM, it just worked again... No explanation. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.