Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Hp Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My mother-in-law gave us her Hp Photosmart A646 printer.  It was never opened.  It was brand new in the package.  I realize this is older, but is there a way to connect it?  It will not work with my phone, nor will it seem to connect to the computer.  I get both to see the printer via Bluetooth, but says it needs a driver.  I was hoping to use this for our homeschool purposes.  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

I afraid the printer is too old and not compatible with any current operating systems, only with much older versions.

The printer is not supported on Windows 10:

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c04658195

The printer is also not supported on any current mobile devices such as iOS or Android:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03722645

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I seem to be able to pull up photos with the SD card option.  However, the printer cartridge continues to say it cannot align.  There is not enough information on the papers included to tell if I am exactly correct in loading paper.  It seems I am... glossy side towards the front, slide the piece to keep the papers from flopping.  I have the 4 by 6 papers tall side vertical, as it does not fit horizontal.  Maybe this was a lemon from the start?  The options all seem to work... the framing, the text on photo, etc.  The paper feeds through, it just will not print.  I can see and hear the cartridge moving from side to side.  Not sure what else to try. 

HP Recommended

I seem to be able to pull up photos with the SD card option.  However, the printer cartridge continues to say it cannot align.  There is not enough information on the papers included to tell if I am exactly correct in loading paper.  It seems I am... glossy side towards the front, slide the piece to keep the papers from flopping.  I have the 4 by 6 papers tall side vertical, as it does not fit horizontal.  Maybe this was a lemon from the start?  The options all seem to work... the framing, the text on photo, etc.  The paper feeds through, it just will not print.  I can see and hear the cartridge moving from side to side.  Not sure what else to try. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following below steps to troubleshoot print quality issues, step four include the steps to align the printer:

https://support.hp.com/ee-en/document/c01810864

If that doesn’t help try following the other steps too, please keep in mind that ink cartridges may need to be replaced, after all this printer was marketed in the early 2000’s, 15 to 20 years ago so this is something to keep in mind too.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.