Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 9015
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a 9015 all-in-one printer and set it up succesfully with Wifi on a Windows 10 laptop and MacBook. If prints fine, later then goes offline (print fails or print request fails saying "Printer Offline"). I'm wondering if this is due to printer power management Auto-off. There is no option to disable Auto-off, which is a problem since the printer is in a spare bedroom, not convenient to access to keep turning it on. SO I'm l;ooking for way to prevent to printer from  turning off.

The HP Smart documentation says:

"Auto-Off Settings

The printer will automatically turn off after a period of inactivity to help reduce energy use. This feature is automatically disabled when the printer is connected to a computer or mobile device, a network, or a fax line (if supported).

Auto-Off turns the printer off completely, so you must use the power button to turn the printer back on."

What is meant by "connected to computer..." ? Is there something I can do in software to keep a connection open? For example, a script to capture a page from the printer's Embedded Web Server? Is Wake-on-Lan supported? 

By the way, the blue LED on the printer stays lit, even when it's offline. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer does not turn off, this is disabled when connected wirelessly and HP Auto-Aff completely turns off the printer, meaning the wireless light would turn off too.

Please make sure the printer is directly connected to a wall socket and not through any power splits, surge protectors, etc. which may cause such unexpected behavior.

Also, make sure your printer is up to date with its latest firmware version:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

If there is still no change, wireless connectivity issues may cause such behavior, I suggest evaluating a Wireless Test Report:

From the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup (Gear) icon

Swipe up on the display, touch Reports, and then touch Wireless Test Report.

May you see any warning or attention listed by the report?

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks for the explanation  of Auto-off; this was helpful. The printer is plugged directly to the wall outlet. And the firmware is up to date.  The printer is currently online,  and the Wireless Report has no surprises. Next time is see offline problems, I'll check the Wireless Report again.

Paul

HP Recommended

The printer has gone offline a couple times since my last post.  By "offline" I mean it is powered up (the LED is lit, I can view menus on the printer), but it is not accessable on the network. The printer does not respond to a ping. I found an online trouble shooter from HP which recommended Print and Scan Doctor; but it could  not connect to the printer.  HPPSdr told me to reset the printer. This caused it to temporarity go back online. Later it went offline, then back online a couple hours later without my intervention. 

When I test with ping, I used the printer's IP address (to rule out DNS problems).  I'm using Windows' command line ping. 

Some other details. My network setup uses orbi mesh router and satellites.  One of the satelites is in the room with the printer. Windows and Mac laptops, phones, tablets, alexa, roku, chomecast, security camera and smart switches all work without failure in this room. The printer is using 5.0 GHZ Wifi (as reported by the orbi app).  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.