Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had to do a reset on my PC due to a problem that occured with the Creators Update and now I can't get the HP software to install. I keep getting a 1603 error message pointing to something it's either trying to install or to see on the C drive, but there's nothing where it's looking. In fact, it looks like the software isn't even able to create the install directory.

Any help would be appreciated, but it looks like I'm not alone in having this problem.

hp-error.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Alright. I've uninstalled the software (again) and instead of reinstalling it I tried to install the Windows drivers. This worked and the printer is now available. That tells me it definitely does NOT like your older drivers. But that also means I can't install your software, which I actually like, and will need to use Windows Fax and Scan for scanning, which is quite a horrible app, OR I use the AIO app which I also don't like. Oh well.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@ionblue

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that you are getting install failed error message while installing the printer software. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

• Try a different USB cable
  • Reset the printer.
  • Refresh the Windows Device Manager.
  • Uninstall the HP driver and software applications.
  • Remove unnecessary files and folders.
  • Turn off programs that run in the background.
  • Reinstall the HP driver and software applications.
  • Enable startup programs.

Click here and follow the document to perform above mentioned troubleshooting steps.

(Though the title of the document is different, these steps should fix the issue)

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Well, this isn't going to help much. There's something wrong in your software installer and probably a compatibility issue with windows CU update.

• It won't install AT ALL so there's nothing to uninstall.
  • The printer isn't connected via USB, it's wireless (but I tried that anyway).
  • Device manager is fine.
  • Files and folders are fine (did you read the part that this was a FRESH install??).
  • Windows see the printer just fine and I can print, but I can't install your software.

I haven't tried turning off all startup items, but I can give that a try. I don't have much starting up so I doubt anything there would be interfering with the install. Plus, I had to reinstall all my software after the reset and I had no problems with ANY of that.

HP Recommended

I went ahead and disabled all startup items, rebooted, tried and failed with the same error in the installer. It isn't even getting past the first part of it. And again, it never installs anything.

HP Recommended

@ionblue

Hi,

as @sandytechy20 is out of the office, I'm replying to you. I have read your posts comprehensively. 

Not to worry, I have some suggestions that should help us to fix the issue:

• Please open the register editor. Type "regedit" in the search box to open the Registry Editor.
  • Once you have the registry editor window open, You may navigate to the below path:

• Right click on "Enum" and select permissions.

• Please provide full control to all the users one by one and click on apply and OK.
  • Then click on Advanced button.

• Please ensure that all users under the "permissions" tab have full control granted.

This should fix the issue and allow you to reinstall the drivers. 

I hope this does the trick. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi there. Appreciate you getting back with me. Unfortunately that didn't work either. I get the exact same error as it's finishing the first part of the install. Don't think it's a permissions issue though. I can see the directory getting created, but as soon as it fails it's removed.

Also, in an effort to get around whatever the issue is, I copied the installation directory from my laptop which had the software installed before the CU updated. I put it in the same spot on this machine and ran the installer hoping that it wouldn't complain about whatever that file is. That didn't work either. I'm stumped on this one. I just want to be able to manage my printer and scan things in an easy fashion!

HP Recommended

@ionblue

You're welcome. 🙂

Please download and run the HP Print and Scan Doctor software. This is a free tool for Windows to help resolve printer driver related issues.

I was researching further on this issue and came across this HP Document. Though it is for lower Windows operating system versions, it might help. You may refer to the steps mentioned for "Resolving the error in Windows 7" and check if that helps. 

Meanwhile, I I request you to let me know if that works. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I went through that document and tried what I hadn't before and same problem as before. So I downloaded the software you recommended and it had no problems seeing my printer, but said everything was fine except the software wasn't installed (DUH) so I downloaded it again thinking it might somehow be different. Same problem.

I even disabled UAC and tried to install.

Changed a few BIOS settings and tried to install.

No dice on all accounts. Honestly don't know what else there is to try. I've installed tons of other software and drivers after the reset and had zero issues.

I've been sending error reports over every time the install fails so maybe someone can find those and see what info is in there? I'm out of ideas.

HP Recommended

@ionblue

Let us install the inbuilt printer drivers in the Windows operating system. This link will guide you to install the inbuilt printer drivers.

NOTE: When you reach the list from where you can choose the printer drivers, then please choose the drivers for your HP Officejet Pro 8610 printer and continue with the installation. These drivers are inbuilt into Windows and should work. 

If the inbuilt drivers for HP Officejet Pro 8610 do not work then try the steps again and this time choose the drivers for HP Deskjet 990c and continue with the installation.

Hope this does the trick. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Wow. Ok, so like I said initially, or at some point anyway, Windows had already installed the printer and when I went to look at it when all this crap started I installed whatever app it wanted (AIO Remote or something) and made me turn on Web services which I didn't want.

After trying to go through what you just sent I couldn't "add" the printer cause it thought it was already there so I removed it and tried to add it again. Well, that failed everytime saying that the drivers were "unavailable". Great.

So after the printer was removed from the system I figured why not try the normal install again and guess what? It worked! Or at least it somewhat worked. Now it doesn't seem to want install it as a network printer for some reason. It sees it in the list and it's fully online and I can get to it's web page so I don't know what this is now about.

Any ideas about that? And yes, at least I managed to get the software intalled so it's a step in the right direction.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.