Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8600 N911a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Firmware version: CKP1CN1304AR

Software version: 028.000.1315.000

Printer Driver version: 09.84.00.1173

This printer seems to be affected by dynamic security feature since it only recognizes OEM cartridges and we tried several 3rd party cartridges/chips with no success.

There is an optional firmware downgrade available for several Officejet, Officejet Pro and Officejet ProX printers models on hp website ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/model... ); however the printer in reference is not included.

Please provide a solution to remove dynamic security feature on OJP 8600 N911a, so non-hp original ink can be used.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@karenlorrel wrote:

I read that the OJP 8600 is not affected by the dynamic security issue affecting non-hp ink but my OJP por 8600 all in one N911a is affected.  I would like to know if this problem has a solution? Thank you.

Sorry no.  There is no problem with this firmware on this printer. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The Officejet Pro 8600 was not affected by this firmware security issue.

HP Recommended

I read that the OJP 8600 is not affected by the dynamic security issue affecting non-hp ink but my OJP por 8600 all in one N911a is affected.  I would like to know if this problem has a solution? Thank you.

HP Recommended

@karenlorrel wrote:

Sorry no.  There is no problem with this firmware on this printer. 

HP Recommended

As stated, nothing wrong with the 8600, as far as I know.  However your choice of 3rd party cartridges is questionable.    Make sure you purchase from a 3rd party that has a 100% money back guarantee and a lifetime warranty on the cartridges.   Just search the web, they are there.

HP Recommended

Your response questioning my purchase of 3rd party ink cartridges shows the arrogance of HP.  You still didn't help to figure out how to use non-hp replacement cartridges. Our family business wanted to use HP printers. Three printers which will not work unless we use the high priced HP ink catridges.  We would like the freedom  of choice to buy 3 rd party ink cartridge replacements.  It doesn't look like you have any helpful suggestions. I'll wait until their is a class action suit that will force HP to issue downloads to fix the problem.  For now...the business will use the Epson ET printers with refillable ink tanks and store the HP printers until there is a download to fix the problem.

HP Recommended

All I'm saying is that there are tens of thousands using 3rd party cartridges in the HP8600 just fine.

HP Recommended

Hi Karenlorrel, just a comment as an affected user. I can confirm that OfficeJet Pro 8600 can work with compatible cartridges using the latest firmware release by Hp (1545). However consider that not all 3rd party chip manufacturers are the same, there are a few of them in the market and most of compatible cartridges brands outsource the chips from them.  Some are more stable than others and resist better to OEM upgrades releases which sometimes deactivate 3rd party consumables use. The most technically qualified manufacturer in the world is Apex Microlectronics (APEX), their chips can  be recognized by an "A" or "P" made with small perforations on each of the 4 chip contacts. As a general recomendation NEVER upgrade your printer firmware if you are using compatible cartriges and everything is working fine. Sometimes this upgrades occur automately so make sure you set the printer driver to never ask for upgrades.

I hope this is of some help...

HP Recommended

Thank you.  Very informative.  Will look into your suggestions.

HP Recommended

I recently bought a new HP 8720 Pro and bought generic ink when the original ran out.  It seems my printer has the dynamic security feature even though it is not one of the printers listed for the download to correct it.  I researched for hours trying to find a solution and have tried the swapping a old HP cartirdige and then reloading the new generic one.  Nothing works.

When is HP going to get the idea that this isn't how you keep customers?  I will not be buying another HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.