cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
AYUSO
Level 1
5 2 0 1
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post

Solved!

OJP 8600 dynamic security issue affecting non-hp original ink

HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 8600 N911a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Firmware version: CKP1CN1304AR

Software version: 028.000.1315.000

Printer Driver version: 09.84.00.1173

This printer seems to be affected by dynamic security feature since it only recognizes OEM cartridges and we tried several 3rd party cartridges/chips with no success.

There is an optional firmware downgrade available for several Officejet, Officejet Pro and Officejet ProX printers models on hp website ( https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8610-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5367603/model... ); however the printer in reference is not included.

Please provide a solution to remove dynamic security feature on OJP 8600 N911a, so non-hp original ink can be used.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Regards.

11 REPLIES 11
sabretooth04
Level 14
21,074 20,455 1,540 3,519
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Officejet Pro 8600 was not affected by this firmware security issue.

0 Kudos
karenlorrel
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I read that the OJP 8600 is not affected by the dynamic security issue affecting non-hp ink but my OJP por 8600 all in one N911a is affected.  I would like to know if this problem has a solution? Thank you.

0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@karenlorrel wrote:

I read that the OJP 8600 is not affected by the dynamic security issue affecting non-hp ink but my OJP por 8600 all in one N911a is affected.  I would like to know if this problem has a solution? Thank you.

Sorry no.  There is no problem with this firmware on this printer. 

karenlorrel
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
This is my 3rd Officejet pro 8600. You would think I would learn not to buy an HP again. I have not been able to use non-hp ink cartridge for any of the 3. I have gone thru every trouble shooting advice HP has...I have the same error messages as those complaining & now have a fix. Perhaps my printer was not apart of the class action law suit but should have been.
You answered my problem..still knowing that I have the same issue as the others...does not allow me to use non-hp ink cartridges, yet you offer no ideas to fix my problem. My computer will not work without genuine ink cartridges??? I would like a solution or download to fix this program otherwise I give up on HP.
karenlorrel
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Forgot to mention..my operating system is for a MaBook Pro OS 10.12.4. Printers are HP officejet pro 8600 series. CURRENTLY own 3 & have a problem with ALL 3 not accepting non-hp ink cartridges. I have repeatedly ask for a solution from HP. Told 'no problem with this printer's software' in this regard so I solved my problem by buying an Epson ET 3600. I will keep other 3 printers until HP offers a download to fix, either as a customer service nicety or a class action suit requiring HP to fix this situation. My solution was not what I wanted...wanted HP to step up to plate & provide an answer for the same problem all 3 of my HP office jet pro 8600 have...cannot operate (print) without genuineness HP ink cartridges.
0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As stated, nothing wrong with the 8600, as far as I know.  However your choice of 3rd party cartridges is questionable.    Make sure you purchase from a 3rd party that has a 100% money back guarantee and a lifetime warranty on the cartridges.   Just search the web, they are there.

0 Kudos
karenlorrel
Level 1
5 5 0 1
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your response questioning my purchase of 3rd party ink cartridges shows the arrogance of HP.  You still didn't help to figure out how to use non-hp replacement cartridges. Our family business wanted to use HP printers. Three printers which will not work unless we use the high priced HP ink catridges.  We would like the freedom  of choice to buy 3 rd party ink cartridge replacements.  It doesn't look like you have any helpful suggestions. I'll wait until their is a class action suit that will force HP to issue downloads to fix the problem.  For now...the business will use the Epson ET printers with refillable ink tanks and store the HP printers until there is a download to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
sabretooth04
Level 14
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All I'm saying is that there are tens of thousands using 3rd party cartridges in the HP8600 just fine.

0 Kudos
AYUSO
Author
Level 1
5 2 0 1
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Karenlorrel, just a comment as an affected user. I can confirm that OfficeJet Pro 8600 can work with compatible cartridges using the latest firmware release by Hp (1545). However consider that not all 3rd party chip manufacturers are the same, there are a few of them in the market and most of compatible cartridges brands outsource the chips from them.  Some are more stable than others and resist better to OEM upgrades releases which sometimes deactivate 3rd party consumables use. The most technically qualified manufacturer in the world is Apex Microlectronics (APEX), their chips can  be recognized by an "A" or "P" made with small perforations on each of the 4 chip contacts. As a general recomendation NEVER upgrade your printer firmware if you are using compatible cartriges and everything is working fine. Sometimes this upgrades occur automately so make sure you set the printer driver to never ask for upgrades.

I hope this is of some help...

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation