Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 5742
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I have an OfficeJet 5742 on my network which is properly working (one of my desktop has it properly installed and can print on it). I have a laptop on which it was difficult to print on the printer (it frequently said that it was offline), I had to uninstall it and reintall it to make it work properly. But since today the printer can be configured anymore on the PC.

When I want to install it I scan search for available devices. It found the printer, I clic on the add device button. It says connexion, and then Pilotes indisponibles (drivers unavailable) in the (Imprimantes et Scanners) "Printed and Scanners" screen on windows 10.

Imprimantes et Scanners.png

HP Doctor sees 3 products :

- 1 HP officejet 5740 series (the picture is note the model I own)

- 1 HPC7195A with the corrct ip address but not the right picture

- 1 HP officejet 5740 series with the correct ip address, the right picture but not installed.

HP Doctor.jpg

Then HP doctor says that there is a network installation failure.

Installation Failure.jpg

I tried so many things, I can't say where I currently am in the process...

Can anyone help me to fix this ? thanks.

Note that the printer is detected by HP Smart and can print a test page... I can't understand what is happening...*

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @LudovicGuy,

I'd be happy to assist you  

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

• Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
    • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
    • Restart your computer.
    • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
    • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
    • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device". 
    • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
    • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
    • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
    • Again, go running window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
    • Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.
    • Now restart your computer again.
    • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
    • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
    • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
    • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well
    • Windows image acquisition stop and restart the service

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer. I followed every step. Here are the problem I encountered :

At the step :

• Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

I had the following message

Le ou les packages suivants ne peuvent pas être supprimés :

hpygid20.inf (x64)
Ce package contient le ou les pilotes suivants qui sont utilisés :
HP Officejet 5740 series; Ce pilote est utilisé sur :
HP Officejet 5740 series

Le ou les pilotes suivants ne peuvent pas être supprimés :

Le pilote HP Officejet 5740 series (x64) est en cours d’utilisation. Il est utilisé sur :
HP Officejet 5740 series

But I continued with the next steps, I managed to install the printer with the given package but when I wanted to print a test page there was an error :

the printer seems installedthe printer seems installed

the printer seems to be properly installed.

I go to the manage printer page ans launch a test pageI go to the manage printer page ans launch a test page

I go to the manage device (note that the links are in grey but on my other computer on which the printer is working the links are in blue).

I then have this popupI then have this popup

But when I want to print a test page I have this popup

and the printer is on error, 1 job is blocked in the queueand the printer is on error, 1 job is blocked in the queue

and the statut is error and and a job is on error in the queue.

HP Recommended

Try a netsh winsock reset -

• Uninstall the printer

• Try a Winsock Reset in Windows 10
  1. Click the Search icon (magnifying glass) in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen and type "cmd" into the search bar. 

Windows 10 Winsock reset 1

2. You'll see the Command Prompt app as the best match at the top of the list. Right-click on it and select Run as administrator. Depending on your computer settings, you may be asked to provide an administrator password before you can continue. 

Windows 10 Winsock reset 2

3. A black box with a flashing cursor will open; this is the Command Prompt. Type “netsh winsock reset” and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard. 

Windows 10 Winsock reset 3

4. Wait for the Command Prompt to run through the reset. Once it’s complete, you’ll see the message “Winsock reset completed successfully”.
  5. Restart your computer to finish.
  • Reinstall the printer.

And then try and print.

Let me know how this goes!

HP Recommended

still doesn't work...

HP Recommended

Install and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Install the built-in print driver over a network connection with Windows 10 or Windows 8.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. Click Devices and Printers, and then click Add a printer.

Clicking Add a printer

3. On the Choose a device or printer to add to this PC window, select your printer, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver. If your printer is not in the list, continue with these steps.

Example of printers found in the Choose a device or printer to this PC window

4. Click The printer I want isn't listed, and then select Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.

Selecting Add a printer using local or network printer with manual settings

5. Click Next.

6. Select the port to be used by your printer, such as USB001 for a USB connected printer, and then click Next.

7. Click Windows Update, and then wait for the print drivers to update.

8. Click HP, Hewlett-Packard, or Hewlett Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

• If your printer is in the list, select it, click Next, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.

• If your printer is not in the list, click the back arrow in the upper left corner of the window two times to return to the Find a printer by other options step, and then continue with these steps.

9. Select Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname, and then click Next.

Selecting Add a printer using TCP/IP address or hostname

10. Select Autodetect from the Device type drop-down list.

11. Type your printer IP address into the text box, and then click Next.

To find the printer IP address, print a Wireless Network Test report or a Network Configuration page.

12. Wait for the computer to connect to the printer, and then click Next to install the print driver.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.