Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Acer Aspire All in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got an OfficeJet 5745 printer. I cannot get it to connect to a brand new Acer Aspire Win10/64 all-in-one. It won't connect via USB and it won't connect via wireless.

In the case of USB, Windows beeps as if it sees the printer, but cannot make contact with it.The HP software says there is no connection.

Wifi: The OJ5745 says it is connected to my home network. The HP install software says it isn't.

I know this is not a Windows or wireless problem. Just setting up the Acer, Windows automatically found a wifi Brother printer in the other room, installed it flawlessly, and it prints fine.

There's some problem with the OJ 5745. Here's what I've done:

1. Downloaded the latest driver package. Installed. Reinstalled. The package hangs at trying to find the USB connection, or the Wireless connection. Can't find either.
  2. Uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers. No difference.
  3. Reset the printer to factory specs. No affect.
  4. Printer performed an update on its own. No effect.
  5. Made sure that the wireless is properly connected. THe printer says it is, but no other device can see it. (And yes, 'let printer show on network' is on).
  6. Downloaded HP troubleshooter. Less than useless. All it did was scream about VPNs (don't have any) and tell me to do what I've already done.
  7. Repeated the above steps in every order I can think of. Nothing.

I'm beyond frustrated with this. This printer has always been a pain to connect, now it is impossible.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks,

EdB

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Nobody has any ideas?

HP Recommended

@ejbSF, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I'd suggest you go through the document HP printer setup (wireless network)  for help.

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add a printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Now the printer has gone into some sort of sleep. Won't turn on, won't turn off. Only way I can get it to respond is by unplugging and replugging from power. Time to retire it; it has been a pain to work with since day 1.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@ejbSF

Thanks for replying!

If you have already performed the steps from the document HP printer does not turn on and the issue persists, it could be a hardware failure.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.