Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Today (Oct 15, 2020) my Officejet 9015 has tried to automatically download a new update that has failed.  When this happens, it goes offline and has to reboot before we can use the printer again.  After the reboot, you can print until it sits idle and starts the whole process again.  Wireless connection is fine and we can print to it while not in this loop.

The printer is only a few months old.  When I go through the menus, the current firmware version on the printer is MANHTNPP1N002.2035B.00 with a build date of 2020-08-25.  I checked the HP website and downloaded the supposedly latest firmware, but it is an older version (001.2010B) and can't be installed since it would be a downgrade.  How do we get out of this loop and get it to stop automatically updating?  I have tried to turn off automatic updates, but for this printer is greyed out and not allowed.

Serial number:[Personal Information Removed]
Product number: 1KR42A

HELP!

TBeaux

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TBeaux

Welcome to the HP support community.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to fix connectivity and printing issues.

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Assign a manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

A Network Configuration Page lists important network settings such as network status and the printer IP address.

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. From the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Wireless icon  or Ethernet icon  to display the network status screen.

3. Touch Print Details to print the network configuration page.

4. Alternatively, from the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

5. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Reports.

6. Touch Network Configuration Page.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address from the page you printed, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wireless.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I have not heard back from HP here or through the Facebook Messenger approach which is what the Support page says I must do before I can get direct help.

HP Recommended

@TBeaux

Welcome to the HP support community.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor to fix connectivity and printing issues.

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor.

1. Run HPPSdr.exe from the download location on your computer.

2. Once HP Print and Scan Doctor opens, click Start, and then select your printer.

• If your printer is not in the list, turn it off and on, and then click Retry.

• If there is a connection problem, follow the instructions in HP Print and Scan Doctor.

3. If a screen prompts you to turn on printer updates, click Yes.

4. If a screen prompts you to make your printer the default printer, click Yes.

5. Try to print.

Assign a manual IP address and that should fix the issue.

A Network Configuration Page lists important network settings such as network status and the printer IP address.

1. Load plain white paper in the input tray.

2. From the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Wireless icon  or Ethernet icon  to display the network status screen.

3. Touch Print Details to print the network configuration page.

4. Alternatively, from the home screen on the printer control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon .

5. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Reports.

6. Touch Network Configuration Page.

Setting a Static IP Address

Once you know your printer’s IP address from the page you printed, entering it is pretty easy. Here’s what you do:

HP Printer Static IP Address

1. Run your Web browser.
  2. In the Web browser’s address bar, type the IP address of your printer and press Enter. Assuming you entered the right address, the HP printer control panel should appear.
  3. Click the Networking tab.
  4. Under Connections, click Wireless.
  5. Under IP Address Configuration, click Manual IP.
  6. Enter the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway in the appropriate boxes.
  7. Click Apply.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

How do I do this with a Mac?

HP Recommended

Not exactly sure which part of the suggestion actually fixed the issue or if it was a combination of all of it.  We had run Scan Dr before posting the original question here, so I don't think that fixed it.  Each time we had run Scan Dr before, it told us it applied updates (even though it never asked about updates) and supposedly fixed a port mismatch.  Even though it says it fixed the issue, the issue returned.

This time, we changed the printer to a fixed IP address as suggested and then ran Scan Dr.  This time Scan Dr told us we needed to apply updates, loaded a bunch of software on my Windows PC then appeared to be applying an update to the printer remotely.  The screen on the printer finally showed that 100% of the update had been downloaded, and then it applied the update.  Once that was done, the Retry loop went away.  A little while later, the blue light on the front of the printer started flashing blue indicating it could not connect to wireless.  I changed the printer back to dynamic/automatic IP address and all seems fine now.  It is staying on the wireless network and is no longer prompting and locking up trying to do an update.

Even though the problem is gone, when I run Scan Dr, it still tells me an update is needed on the printer even though it was applied earlier.  No idea why that is the case.

Thanks again for your help!

TBeaux

HP Recommended

@TBeaux

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.