Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone connected their HP Officejet Pro 8630 to a windows 10 PC laptop via Blue Tooth. The salesman at Harvey said it would, the online live chat says it will but diretions were not successful. Any help would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After a few more hours (spred over a couple of days!!) I hve finally managed to get the wi-fi printing working!!!!!

Thank you again for your superb advice - you really should write an Idiots Guide to connecting 8630'S.

Your time, expertise and willingness to share your knowledge are truly appreciated

My kindest regards and thanks

Colin

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

No, it does not support Bluetooth by default. Please bring it back to HN and ask him how. Its specs:

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/products/printers/product-detail.html?oid=5367622#!tab=specs

It only supports wireless.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your advice. I really do feel let down by HP. Just a complete waste of money, time and energy. No information at all from HP. Took ages to find where to loa th extraordinarily expensive ink!!!! no handbook - 45 minute download of software - no installation wizard. Just a load of absolute rubbish.

Thanks again for your kind response

Colin

HP Recommended

Hi,

There are few things I would like to mention here

(a) To save trees and planet (and cost), many vendors now don't supply printed materials. The "books" could be outdated by the time customers get them, therefore they put on CD's or Internet. Installtion CD's may also outdate too.

(b) HP has a tool for printer installation wizard but (yes but) I did test it and more than 50% of time it took longer for me to download and install quicky and up to 20% of time it failed. Therefore I always recommend members to download from the internet.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your kind advice. I simply want to get rid of cables and use Blue Tooth to connect the 8630 to my laptop. Apparantly, despite assurances to the contrary, the 8630 does not support Blue Tooth. The so called Wireless option needs a router which is more wires (and expense!) so its back to USB wires I'm sad to say. I really would like to meet the Wizard - can't find him anywhere depite two long downloads. I just think HP, a superb  company in th past, has lost the plot.

Again my thanks for your time

Colin

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your printer supports wireless direct, you don't need wireless router. Please use the following setup:

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/wireless-direct.html

or use the following setup:

Install a Wi-Fi Direct printer using the Add a Device wizard on a Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 computer.
  1. Make sure the print driver is installed on the computer or laptop.
  2. Turn on Wi-Fi Direct on the printer.
    • For printers with a control panel, touch the Wi-Fi Direct icon to display the Wi-Fi Direct name and PIN.
    • For printers without a control panel, press the Information button to print a report that includes the Wi-Fi Direct name and PIN.
    • If the printer does not have an Information button, press and hold the Resume button for 2 seconds to print a report that includes the Wi-Fi Direct name and PIN.
  3. On the computer, search for Devices and Printers, and then click it in the results.
  4. Click Add a Device, select DIRECT-xx-HP [your printer model name] from the list of printers, and then click Next.
     note:
    If the printer name does not display, you might be out of range of the Wi-Fi Direct signal. Move your device and printer closer together.
  5. Type the PIN code when prompted in the Add a Device wizard on the computer, and then click Next to complete the setup.

It also supports NFC, you can print from ANY device which supports NFC by simply touch that device to the rpinter (symbol at the front).

Note: I've tested all of those with my loan printer, it is an HP Officelst Pro 8620 which is your printer's sister/brother.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks so much for that. I will try and let you know the results.

Kindest regards from Aus. Colin

HP Recommended

After a few more hours (spred over a couple of days!!) I hve finally managed to get the wi-fi printing working!!!!!

Thank you again for your superb advice - you really should write an Idiots Guide to connecting 8630'S.

Your time, expertise and willingness to share your knowledge are truly appreciated

My kindest regards and thanks

Colin

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.