Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I get the printer Tray 1 to print letter, and Tray 2 to print legal?  I've set up the trays this way on the printer itself, but when I try to print a legal size page, it prints on Tray 1, which is letter size.  Why is this so difficult?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I do not have one of these in front of me but I would say that if @Jay_G24 is correct then HP should make the documentation clearer. As written is says that tray 1 and 2 can be loaded with letter or legal, there is no separate instructions for tray 2 that say otherwise. 

I would check the paper settings on the driver and make sure that you have that set for legal in tray 2 as well. On your PC go to control panel>devices and printers and then right click on the icon for your printer and select printer properties. Then click on the device settings tab and set tray 2 to legal.  Also check what driver you are using. Some of the Microsoft drivers that auto install provide very limited configuration and you may need to install the HP universal print driver to get full functionality out of your printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @WenWolfe,

I'd like to help!

Tray 2 only supports letter size paper and tray 1 supports special paper.

You may refer to the document --Loading Paper, Cards, Envelopes

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

HP Recommended

I do not have one of these in front of me but I would say that if @Jay_G24 is correct then HP should make the documentation clearer. As written is says that tray 1 and 2 can be loaded with letter or legal, there is no separate instructions for tray 2 that say otherwise. 

I would check the paper settings on the driver and make sure that you have that set for legal in tray 2 as well. On your PC go to control panel>devices and printers and then right click on the icon for your printer and select printer properties. Then click on the device settings tab and set tray 2 to legal.  Also check what driver you are using. Some of the Microsoft drivers that auto install provide very limited configuration and you may need to install the HP universal print driver to get full functionality out of your printer.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thank you!  This is exactly what I ended up doing and finally figuring it out.  HP should of course make this super easy and add a clear instruction in the set up manual - why put your customer through hours of searching when it is easy once you know what to do.  Shame on HP.

Also - you are correct - Tray 1 and 2 can have any size paper, it just has to be set in the properties, and in the printer screen itself.  When you remove and return a Tray - it will ask you the paper size you want.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.