Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Photosmart C7180
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Since updating to latest MAC OS Catalina 10.15.7 HP Photosmart C7180 printer/scanner not working.

Printing error = Filter failed

Scan error = Failed to open connection to device (-21345)

Have loaded so called 'latest' driver package from HP (5.1d) - no change to problem.

Have removed & reinstalled printer numerous times with every different option.  Closest I could get was black & white printing (i.e. no colour) using Generic PCL printer driver. Not a viable workaround.

I know it's an older printer but it's working perfectly with my Window 10 laptop and I don't want to replace it just so it will work with the Mac.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is the printer connected wirelessly? with a USB? please provide some details about its connectivity.

Also, in the meantime, please download below drivers to your Mac, so would be available for use if needed:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/ASU/HPPrinterDrivers5.1.dm...

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I have the same problem after a macOS update yesterday. My printer is connected by USB.  I already tried other solutions - ran Disk Utility - no errors, downloaded driver and installed, reset printers, rebooted with USB disconnected, reconnected, add printer.  Same error occurs. On printer it is "Filter failed"; on scanner it is "Failed to open a connection to the device (-21345)".

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problems with HP Photosmart C4683.

After upgrading to Catalina 10.15.7 it stopped worked - printer and scanner both with the same errors.

Moreover, at some point after few tries to install the 5.1 driver and reset the printing system I'm unable to setup the printer. I'm getting "Unable to communicate with the printer at this time." error.

My printer is also connected with USB.

HP Recommended

Printer connected wirelessly. I already loaded driver package 5.1d as stated in my original post; it does NOTHING to resolve the fault.

HP Recommended

Same issue for my HP Photosmart C7280  w Catalina OS 10.15.7.

Will HP update driver software to work with Catalina OS? 

HP Recommended

Same error messages with my HP C7280 Printer.

Will HP release printer drivers that support Catalina 10.15.7 and later?

HP Recommended

Same problem with HP Officejet 7210 and Laserjet HP2055DN following annoying auto-update of my Mac to Catalina 10.15.7 this morning.  Clearly must be an Apple f*** up.  System Prefs can SEE both printers, via Bonjour and IP address, but cannot correctly communicate with them to print.  Mac says its sending print to Laserjet HP2055DN, print queue flashes then clears but nothing gets printed.  With Officejet 7210 again, System Preferences sees and installs it, but attempting to print gets immediate "filter" errors and HP message saying drivers corrupted or missing.  Nothing prints.  Attempt to scan gets failure to communicate error.  

Have deleted, reinstalled printers, rebooted Mac, reset printing system, deleted all /Library/Printers files and reinstalled printers, but nothing works.

HP should be kicking Apple's arse for this mess.

HP Recommended

After about a dozen attempts, finally got HP's FTP download of 4 August 2020 version of HPPrinterDrivers.1.dmg file driver files for older printers and installed it on Mac.  NO CHANGE, same errors, no printing.  Apple and HP need to get their act sorted.  It is ridiculous that an auto update to a major OS should stop a major printer supplier's products working and that supplier NOT have updated drivers.  Apple's site is even more useless as it still only has 2017 version of HPPrinterDrivers.1.dmg file at https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US so don't bother with that.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same 'filter failed' problem printing to a HP Photosmart C7280 printer/scanner and have scoured the web looking for solutions.  I downloaded the latest HP driver for Catalina 10.15 but that has an August 2020 date so clearly HP we need a new one please!! 

I'm using a 2012 MacBookPro, that still functions really well, with 2.7 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB memory.  The printer is hard wired thru the USB port.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.