Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pagewide Enterprise Color 556
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning,

Is there a pre-boot menu on the Pagewide Enterprise Color 556 printer?

Bought one at an auction ($20) and there is a lot wrong in the software.

Would like to Restore the software.

I have used the "pre-boot" in two other printers - scary - one could do a lot of damage ,

but at this point I don't have anything to lose.

Soapy1928

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Press and hold HP logo when the printer is turned ON and there is a 1/8 bar on the screen.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Press and hold HP logo when the printer is turned ON and there is a 1/8 bar on the screen.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thank you,

I was pretty sure that there had to be a "way in", but I tried touching everything.

Soapy1928

HP Recommended

Good morning  VALSIMOT,

I learn from making mistakes!  However, I do not want to make a FATAL mistake.

Question: If I format the disc - is there a virgin program on the disk to automatically  replace the format

or does it have to come from the internet? 

An associated problem is that I cannot seem to connect the Pagewide 556 to the network.

Soapy1928

HP Recommended

If you format the disc it will be empty, you will need to download firmware from hp.com and install new firmware also from preboot menu.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pagewide-enterprise-color-556-series/7835665 

There are 3 firmware's available, FS3, FS4 and FS5. The FS4 and FS5 are very similar. Major difference is between FS3 vs other two.

You can use any of 3 firmwares, and if you don't like it you can swich it.

Download firmware to u USB drive, there is a USB port on the printer left from the front panel, insert USB with the firmware, and you have a download option in preboot menu just select USB Thumbdrive.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Hi VALSIMOT,

Download is complete. Went without a problem. My only question was how long to wait for the

disc format to complete. Didn't want to stop in the middle and foul up the download.

Thank you. 

Soapy1928

HP Recommended

Disk format is done before firmware update ant it takes short.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Good morning VALSIMOT.

Yes, I knew the format had to be done BEFORE downloading. The hard drive is probably solid state so it

doesn't make any noise. No way to know when it was finished.

Now that I know a little more, I will be doing some experimenting.

I know HP doesn't like amatures "bull in a china shopping" in the Pre-boot 

but so far I havn't done anything I couldn't fix. I sure would like to know what

goes on if you select items on lines 6-7-8 .

Soapy1928 

HP Recommended

Good morning AGAIN VALSIMOT,

Excuse my unnecessary post. I searched the Trouble Shooting  manual and found 

everything I need.

Soapy1928

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.