Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
F4580
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The dialog box for the printer preferences is corrupt - sometimes. The dropdown boxes don't have any content - see screenshot below. I have tried reinstalling the drivers twice, but still no joy. The printer works fine otherwise. It doesn't do this if I go to the dialog box via control panel, or if I use an application such as MS Word. However, if I use other applications (e.g. Chrome, PDF-XChange Editor), then this corrupted box appears. Can anyone help please? Many thanks.

Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@scrumpycyder,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I recommend you root uninstall the printer and then reinstall it and check if it helps.

Here is how it is done.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Restart the PC

14.) Download and install the printer software from the below link.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for the reply. I had already tried that uninstall process several times as I have seen it on other posts in the forum. I have managed to solve it now though - and hopefully this will help others who have this problem.

Firstly, another post helped me identify that the issue only occurs with 64-bit applications. I then found another post that talked about language settings. So, I installed the English (United States) language pack into Windows, and then did the install. This then fixed the issue! You don't have to stick with this language pack though, as I then reverted back to the English (United Kindom) language pack in Windows, and uninstalled the US language pack, and the problem is still fixed 🙂 

I've had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers several times since, due to another issue with images not printing properly (I'll raise a separate post for that one), and the problem remains fixed, so thats good news on that one at least.

HP Recommended

@scrumpycyder,

Perfect! If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.