Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8730
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello there.  

I need a little help on this one.  I've had this printer working for several months without any issue, the other morning it just wouldn't print showing "Driver Unavailable" in the Printers and Scanners section.  I tried several times to reinstall the latest driver for this model printer downloaded from the HP site, but each when running through installation it finds the printer just fine on the network, but then the progress bar just keeps on timing out then saying the printer couldn't be installed on the network.  When opening up the HP Smart App, I can clearly see the printer is found on the network, but where it says "Printer Installed" it shows it as no. 

I spent a few more hours removing every trace of HP driver and software on my computer, running the printui /s function and removing all HP drivers that way also, and have now got it to a point where the installation completes, but it lists the printer as HP OfficeJet Pro 8730 PCL-6 (Network).  I've set as default and no longer seeing the "Driver Unavailable" option, but whenever I try and print something from the PC, I get an error message and nothing prints.  I've restarted the print spooler but no good.  I also ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool downloaded from HP, when I run this it finds the printer just fine, but the page where it shows "finding and fixing problems" I get a red X on Device Status.  I've powered off the printer and PC for several minutes but still nothing.  

Can anyone shed some light on what's causing this?  I know several updates from Microsoft have caused issues with printers over the last few months, this is obviously a case of it here.  I've a laptop in the house that has no problem printing from this printer over wifi so I know the printer is ok, I rely on my desktop PC for home business so I'm desperate for some assistance please.

Thank You in advance.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Char80

This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Char80

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Remove all instances of the same.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers. 
  • Restart the PC again.

Install printer with the Windows builtin driver and check if that works

Here are the steps:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello there.  

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  

I had already tried the steps you posted above several times, everything up to the step at the end "Install printer with the Windows builtin driver and check if that works

Here are the steps:- Click here

I'll have another go later on and report back with an update.  Sorry about the lengthy reply to your post.  

HP Recommended

I have this same problem with same printer with all our windows 10 machines in office, I beleive it is a windows update that broke this, yet i cant find way to fix it, have tried all these steps multiple times, can hp help us please?

HP Recommended

@Char80

This might require remote access of the computer to fix the issue.

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, using the Basic Driver you advised above also does not work.  This is clearly a big issue with this particular printer and a Windows 10 update now.  I'll follow the link you provided to raise a ticket and hopefully get this resolved.  

Thanks.  

HP Recommended

Ok I have submitted case.

HP Recommended

Im going to have to buy another printer

HP Recommended

Purchasing a new printer will not help. The issue is with Windows 10 Upgrade. And no where is there a fix that actually works. Reloading Windows entirely fresh is ONLY OPTION!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.