Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet 4650Series Print
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Office Jet 4650 is web connected have Excel color document open but only prints in black and white.  Printer color is working

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Fortdrum2,

Thanks for visiting the HP community. A very good day to you! I read the post regarding issues with printing in excel. I will be delighted to assist you here.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a software or windows update?
  • Did you reset the browser and check?
  • Did you try with a different browser to isolate the issue further?

For now, try these steps:

Please reset the web browser and check by printing excel files from the web.

This should fix the issue. If it does not and if you are using Google Chrome uninstall it from control-panel> programs and features.

Then reinstall the latest Chrome browser software from Google and check again.

If the issue continues, try another browser like Firefox or Edge.

This should fix the issue.

If it continues, then uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right-click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from http://hp.care/2tCq378  and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

This should do the trick for you.

If the problem persists, then try to install the Windows built-in driver by following the instructions from this link: http://hp.care/2o3acvH

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a superb week ahead. 🙂  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
HP Recommended

Hi @Fortdrum2,

Thanks for visiting the HP community. A very good day to you! I read the post regarding issues with printing in excel. I will be delighted to assist you here.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Did this happen after a software or windows update?
  • Did you reset the browser and check?
  • Did you try with a different browser to isolate the issue further?

For now, try these steps:

Please reset the web browser and check by printing excel files from the web.

This should fix the issue. If it does not and if you are using Google Chrome uninstall it from control-panel> programs and features.

Then reinstall the latest Chrome browser software from Google and check again.

If the issue continues, try another browser like Firefox or Edge.

This should fix the issue.

If it continues, then uninstall and reinstall the printer drivers by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right-click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top.
  • Click on print server properties.
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box,
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • Ignore the Regedit option if it cannot be done.
  • Restart the PC again.

Then download the latest full feature driver from http://hp.care/2tCq378  and install it on the computer after selecting the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer.

If the problem persists, then try to install the Windows built-in driver by following the instructions from this link: http://hp.care/2o3acvH

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, Going by your technical expertise and competence I am sure you will be able to perform these steps without breaking a sweat. 🙂

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a superb week ahead. 🙂  

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Fortdrum2,

It has been a fabulous experience working with you. 🙂 I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. 🙂 You've been simply amazing with your technical expertise and thanks again for giving me the privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Please take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As an HP employee I hope you can help. Like others my HP Envy is only printing in black and white. This has only happened recently although the printer is over a year old now. I have uninstalled the drivers, downloaded new and reinstalled. This worked for 1 day and now i'm back to black and white. The printer properties no longer show colour as a default option. I'ver eached the end of my expertise - can you help?

HP Recommended

have you had any luck? im having the same problem

HP Recommended

@npar2, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To assist you better, I would like to know the following-

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

What is the Operating System installed on your computer?

What happens when you make a photocopy on the printer?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  My printer model is HP Envy 4512.  

HP Recommended

@stvelvick, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To assist you better, I would like to know the following-

What is the Operating System installed on your computer?

What happens when you make a photocopy on the printer?

Keep me posted for further assistance

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My operating system is Windows 10 Home Edition.  And when I color copy, the copy comes out in color.  It is only when I print.  As someone else also said, there is no longer an option to print in color when the print box comes up.

HP Recommended

@stvelvick

Thanks for replying!

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe”

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Now, download and install the full-featured software from here.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.