Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Thanks TEJ1602 this worked perfectly, you've saved my Christmas! 😀

HP Recommended

☹️I spoke too soon! I printed a colour page. It worked. I logged off and logged back on and printed the same test page. Colour again... progress. I restarted my computer and printed my test page... colour again! Fixed me thinks. Queue up my Christmas labels... print a sample on A4. Printed in colour result! Put in the labels into the printer, spooled the whole mailing, changing to best... labels start printing in B&W! Another couple of sheets of labels wasted again. This is driving me mad! 😠

See related post https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Envy-4520-only-printing-in-Black-and-white/m-p/7337373...

HP Recommended

My HP 7740 only print black and white for print head alignments, reports and prin thead cleanings. It's the printer, not the drivers.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your tip but nothing worked.  I have uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled them, (checked to be sure I had  the latest drivers first) and still nothing.  Tried the HP "Doctor"... nothing.  Attempted the windows driver installation but it did not show up so I reinstalled the most recent drivers on the HP web page.   We can still print with our old computer in color as well as print from my cell phone in color but not from the computer I am using now.  Our other computer shows the option of switching from black and white to color but this one doesn't.  I believe it is a software issue with HP but I cannot seem to get in touch with a person to discuss it with.   VERY frustrated with HP!  It's bad enough that their printers continuously go offline for me and I have to go in circles to get it back online, but now this issue that doesn't seem to have a solution.  

HP Recommended

Thanks Fred5556 but in my instance and quite a lot of other posts I've read if you copy on the printer or use another device to print from. E.g a mobile it prints in colour. So I think you must be experiencing a different issue.

HP Recommended

@npar2 @me4250

Try using built-in drivers - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Let me know.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I reset the printer to factory defaults. it is not connected to any computer or network. All ink cartridges show full and no errors.

I printed the print quality diagnostic page and it is in black and white.

What now?

HP Recommended

I printed the printer status report. The Ink statuses are all printed in black. No colors are printed. The firmware is up to date.

What else can be done with this printer?

HP Recommended

@fred5556

Appreciate you trying the steps. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding this. 

Thanks! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Amita6658:

I checked again to be sure the firmware was up to date on the printer and it is.  Again, I deleted the device and anything else involved with HP.  Went through reinstalling the printer but did not have the Windows options.  Once it was installed with the generic method, there weren't any drivers (checked properties, etc to see if anything was in a file... nothing).  Used the HP Doctor to find the drivers and went through the installation.   Looked at a Word document after to print, and when I checked to see if it would print in color, the option wasn't there.  Nothing changed and we are STILL with a useless printer that we haven't had very long!  Sadly, we've had it long enough to be pass warranty.  Again, I am VERY disappointed in HP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.