Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
MFP281fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP printer software update program has popped up again. It does this every few weeks even though I have set the printer to never update!

Previous versions of this program have been fairly simple to dismiss - I just click the close button (top right)  Now, I'm given several options:

HP Update.jpg

Which button do I press (blue or grey) to NOT do an update to my printer firmware? BTW, I have the option to update on the printer DISABLED, yet this update program seems to override this setting.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @what-a-con ,
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Unfortunately I can not see the writing!

Kind Regards
Andr-1611

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

That's the point!

This program pops up in the background so will nearly always be hidden by whatever app I'm actually using. I only know it's there because there's an icon on the taskbar (which also doesn't have any title).

I know from bitter experience that if I click the blue button on the main window, the software will update the firmware on my printer even though the setting on the printer is set to NOT allow updates. Now I'm given the option of 2 more unnamed buttons and no idea what these may do.

I really do not want to update the firmware because this prevents the use of non HP toner cartridges (even though the setting to "only use genuine HP toner" is also set to OFF).

HP Recommended

Right-click Start, search for "control panel" and open "Programs and Features"

Sort by name

Enlarge window to full screen

I need a screenshot of all installed HP programs.

This can be 1 or 2 screenshots, upload here, click on the icon "Insert photos".

HP Recommended

There aren't any HP programs installed. I only have the drivers installed when I added the printer.

HP Recommended

Open the Services and look for

• HP Print Scan Doctor Service
    change from autom. to manuell

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion. That service was running so I have stopped it and set it to Manual. Hope that will resolve the problem

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.