Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless Printer - A809n
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have a HP Officejet Pro 8000 Wireless Printer - A809n which was working fine before I upgraded my OS to Catalina (10.15.7).  When I go and download/update the driver (version 5.1 download) the printer still shows that it has the version 4.1.1 driver.  Nothing will print.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Try this, in this order:
Try Easy Start. If that doesn't solve it, move on to the next step:

download (and install) this package (From HP FTP) which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...
The install takes a bit. Let it run, even if it seems like it stalled out!

It is NOT the same as the driver package, Easy Start, or Easy Admin other people are recommending.

If the link comes up blank, try right/control clicking and saving it (it takes a while to download, and a while to install). If you install this package and still have trouble, try restarting. Then go about uninstalling your printer USING THIS METHOD ONLY (NOT EASY START, NOT EASY ADMIN): Apple Logo (Upper Left of Screen)/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Then restart your computer. The reinstall using the same menu in Printers & Scanners and use the default driver.

If you still can't find the printer, install the 5.1 driver package from HP: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

Then restart and try to install again through the Printers & Scanners menu.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

The solution is to download (and install) this package which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

Easy Admin did nothing. Easy Startup did nothing. 5.1 drivers did nothing. This worked for me!

If this solved your issue, please thumbs up and mark as solved!

HP Recommended

THANKS

The good news is that it allows me to see the ink supplies and open the printer utility.  

The bad news is that I still con not print.  

I get the following message

Can't open "private/var/spool/cups/tmp/016805fa2d9a9"

HP Recommended

Thanks but I get multiple errors when trying to install this package, which seems to point to invalid certificate.Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 12.27.26 PM.png

HP Recommended

Please start your own post, and message me with the link. I will help you there.

HP Recommended

Try restarting. Then go about uninstalling your printer USING THIS METHOD ONLY (NOT EASY START, NOT EASY ADMIN): Apple Logo (Upper Left of Screen)/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Then restart your computer. The reinstall using the same menu in Printers & Scanners and use the default driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks.

I have done this and I still can not get the printer to print.  The firmware always shows 4.1.1.  

HP Recommended

Try this, in this order:
Try Easy Start. If that doesn't solve it, move on to the next step:

download (and install) this package (From HP FTP) which will update drivers AND THE CERTIFICATE:
The install takes a bit. Let it run, even if it seems like it stalled out!

It is NOT the same as the driver package, Easy Start, or Easy Admin other people are recommending.

If the link comes up blank, try right/control clicking and saving it (it takes a while to download, and a while to install). If you install this package and still have trouble, try restarting. Then go about uninstalling your printer USING THIS METHOD ONLY (NOT EASY START, NOT EASY ADMIN): Apple Logo (Upper Left of Screen)/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners. Then restart your computer. The reinstall using the same menu in Printers & Scanners and use the default driver.

If you still can't find the printer, install the 5.1 driver package from HP: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1888?locale=en_US

Then restart and try to install again through the Printers & Scanners menu.

HP Recommended

THANKS

That did it

HP Recommended

WOOO HOOO!  I have been trying to fix this issue for sooo long and this new package worked!!! One thing to note is to use the PLC Generic Driver when setting up your printer.  😉  Thanks so much for sharing!  I could never get anything else to work and of course HP will never let you talk to a, actual tech support if your out of warranty it seems.😡  This was a lifesaver.  Thanks again!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.