Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP DeskJet 2720 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

whenever I want to print a PDF in its actual size, the page content is pushed down, as you can see in the preview:

Wensa_1-1643275793672.png

Wensa_0-1643275761858.png

For the actual print on paper this means that at the bottom, part of the content is cut off.

Some documents must be printed in actual size so adjusting to page size is not an option here.

I tried reinstalling the driver and I tried printing on 3 different (Win10) computers but the problem remains.

Printing the PDF as image doesn't help either.

This doesn't happen on other printers: 

Wensa_0-1643276050235.png

So I refuse to give up hope. I really really don't want to buy a new printer only because this one isn't able to print PDFs properly.

Is there anything I can do? I think it may be a driver problem since this doesn't happen with different printers or file formats, but I'm not 100% sure.

If you can help I'll be very very very happy 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Wensa 

Welcome to the HP User Community.

It is not a driver problem - it is a hardware limitation.

This series of DeskJet printer models require a larger bottom margin.

Print Margin Bottom (A4)12.7 mm
Print Margin Left (A4)3 mm
Print Margin Right (A4)3 mm
Print Margin Top (A4)3 mm

I would guess the larger margin requirement is impinging on the document and causing the bottom edge to be cut off.

Cannot use Shrink-to-Fit

According to the information I can find, the printer supports printing on Legal sized paper.  Given the size of the content, it would likely fit on the paper even given the necessary larger bottom margin.  Yes, I know - there is no equivalent to "legal" in your paper size system. 

What to do?

Not sure - the printer margins are a limitation in the hardware.

Depending on the circumstances, you might consider purchasing (and having shipped) the paper size that would accommodate the document at "actual size".  I was able to have A4 shipped to my USA location - it took a while, but the purchase was possible.  I use the A4 paper for testing only so the time-to-ship was not important.

Were it mine to do, I'd likely replace the printer with a more robust OfficeJet Pro model that includes (among the other benefits) the 3mm margins on every side.  That's a personal opinion and does not mean you should follow suit, of course.  True - OfficeJet Pro models cost substantially more than do the less expensive DeskJet printers.

For those reading in English

Example - Adobe Reader DC  - PDF Document - Main Print Menu Setup

PDF_Reader_Main_Menu_2PDF_Reader_Main_Menu_2

HP Printer Support Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP DeskJet 2720 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Helpful = Yes to say Thanks!

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you!

It still doesn't make sense to me:

Wensa_0-1643969755184.png

Neither does the printer's behaviour make sense if there is more than one page:

Wensa_2-1643969887090.png

This shows that the printer is able to print both the bottom and top margins that are required, but the content is shoved around and cut off (see 2nd page, there is enough space left at the bottom) for no apparent reason.

Thanks again. 🙂

HP Recommended

@Wensa 

You are welcome.

An opinion

If you look carefully at the first image in the example, see that the document (text and image) does not fit entirely on the supported printing area for the paper (white background).   The content is extending down into the gray area on the preview sheet.

The printer needs a larger margin along the bottom of the printed page.

The "actual size" of the content does not fit inside the supported print area.

If the data does not fit on the paper where the printer is allowed to print, the content will be chopped off.  Apparently, that "does not fit" result might also mean that subsequent pages are shoved out of alignment.

Does the page print if you select "Fit", "Shrink oversized pages", or enter a Custom Scale (try 97%, for example)?

If yes, (it is my opinion) that is your option for this printer.

The other printers you have used to test the job likely do not have this weird "larger bottom edge" limitation present in less expensive HP DeskJet models.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi and thank you, again! I really appreciate that you are trying to help. 

Yes, I would agree with you IF the printer (or the software since it's already visible in the preview) didn't increase the top margin for no apparent reason. That increased top margin pushes the content down which is the reason the bottom is cut off. If it wasn't for the increased top margin, the content wouldn't extend into the gray area.
I know the margins are no problem for the printer technically, neither bottom nor top.

Maybe I just don't understand what you are trying to say, I'm sorry if that is the case 😉

Shrinking oversized pages works, yes, but I needed to print this particular document in its original size and that's when I noticed the problem. 

HP Recommended

@Wensa 

You are welcome.

You need not agree with me! 

I might well be wrong and perhaps I am missing something.

For example, if this document printed correctly in the past (on this printer),

It is possible the printer software needs to be Uninstalled > Restart the computer > Reload the printer software.

OR ?

Testing what the printer will do...

One thing to consider is that a PDF file does not include the original formatting except as it was interpreted when the original document was Exported to PDF format.   Generally, original Layout settings are interpreted correctly and properly sent along to the exported file format.

The following might not show you anything you don't already know, that is, (that) the printer does not do what you want.

FYI / Optional

If you have the original document in it's original format (Word, for example, or other Office software),

Open that document in that (office) software,

Set the layout (margins, orientation, paper size) as appropriate for the document,

-- For example, set the margins to Narrow (1/2 inch on a side) or set the Margins to Custom with the larger margin set along the bottom of the page --

Print the document from within the Office / document environment,

-- Remember to check / adjust the Printer Properties to set the appropriate Shortcut / Paper Size --

Check the results

What else?

Create a TEST document (for example, in Word) that mimics the exact margins that are present in the original document you want to print at full / actual size.  Make sure all content, including Footers / Headers, are inside the supported print area for YOUR printer.  Optionally add a border to your test document.  Print the results.  If that works, Export the file to PDF and print that document.

Example - different printer, different margins - offered FYI only as a visual reference

Tiny_Margin_Test_1Tiny_Margin_Test_1

If I think of anything useful to your printer and situation, I'll post back or edit this message.

References

Borders in Documents

Word Tips - Understanding Point Sizes

Partial Except

A point is a typographical term for a unit of measure. It is equivalent to 1/72 of an inch. Points are understood and used extensively by everyone in the publishing trade, particularly in design, typesetting, and printing. They are most commonly used with type specifications. Word uses point sizes to specify the height of all the fonts it uses. Thus, when you use a 12-point type, you are using one that occupies a character box approximately 12/72 (or 1/6) of an inch high from the top of the highest riser, to the bottom of the lowest descender. Likewise, 72-point type uses a character box that is about one inch tall.

=================================================

Adobe Reader DC – Install Whether You Use It or Not

If you have not done so,

Reinstall / Update your PDF Reader (Adobe Reader DC /Optional  Foxit Reader)

HINT:  Watch out for and UNCHECK unwanted extra software

NOTE:  Adobe Reader DC software can be installed even if you do not normally open / view / print PDF files directly from the Adobe Reader DC software.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.