Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
laserjet pro m148fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

laserjet pro m148fdw has one problem for me. I use the Manual Feed Tray (termed "Priority Input Tray")  to print #10 envelopes. But if I haven't already put in the envelope, the printer automatically uses the Main Input Tray, and my address spews out on a piece of copy paper.

It would be very useful if the printer would (1) recognize an envelope, (2) recognize that it would print in the Manual Feed, and (3) do nothing until I inserted the envelope.

I generate envelopes using MS Word.

Is there a way to do this?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@Brewster2

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Has this always happened with the Printer from Day 1?

Try a firmware update: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_1776648-1643972-16

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Betty. I've updated the firmware,  But do I do then?

LOADING AND PRINTING ENVELOPES on page 25 of my manual first reads, "From the software program, select the Print option."

There appears to be nothing in HP Smart that matches this. On the control panel of the printer, I'm totally lost how you would get to any setting(s) that accomplish my goal.

Could you please help this helpless soul to get to the right setting?

Regards,

Bruce

HP Recommended

Has this always happened with the Printer from Day 1?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes. I purchased this printer in April, 2020, and we are seasonal here so only occasional use.

HP Recommended

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Betty,

I agree that I would love to have this post explain and solve this problem for anyone who encounters it. So I'll explain what I've done on my Windows 10 PC (using the Classic Shell interface) keyed to your instructions.

Steps 1-3. I couldn't find "HP Printer" using the search box above the Start Button, or in "Programs and Features."

Steps 4-5. Going to "Devices and Printers," I removed the HP Printer from the "list" of printer icons.

Steps 6-7, This worked, and brings up the "Printer Server Properties" box.

Steps 8-9. Clicking the "Driver" brings up the Printer. Clicking to "Remove," however, brings up box with TWO choices, one to remove just the "Driver," and the other to the "Driver and Driver Package." I chose just the Driver.

Step 14.  After closing out the above, I ran "c:/programdata" at the CMD prompt, but this gets an error that it's not recognized command. However, simply using Explorer to open the C:/ProgramData folder has a subfolder "HP" that has three subfolders. I deleted the folder with the printer name, as well as the NCCOM folder containing only one file. I left the PDSMQ folder as it was empty.

After rebooting, I went to the website, found my printer. Clicking on the downloads, I see there is a long list of potential downloads. I understand you can open up each category and download a driver, but I decided to download the one labeled "Basic Driver." As part of that download, you are directed to also download "HP Smart."

The settings that I need are located in HP Smart, and my problem earlier was that HP Smart not functional. The new download works.

Now we get to the remaining problem.

There are a number of green tabs in HP Smart, and I think the setting I'm looking for should be under "System/Paper Setup."

Here's a screen shot.

screen shot.PNG

 It is confusing (at least to me) what these selection mean. What should the settings be to have anything printed from the tray, but to have any envelope sent to the Manual Feed and so that if the Manual Feed is empty, the printers waits for me to insert and envelope.

The settings I've chosen "works" to stop an envelope from automatically printing, but the address is not centered on the envelope and there an error I have to clear that I need to put in paper.

So I'm very close here, but there is something that needs to be configured in HP Smart.

Regards,

Bruce

HP Recommended

This is in further reply after trying various setting in HP Smart. I've learned that "Tray 1" is the manual feed. So I set it as follows:

screen shot.PNG

 With Tray #1 set to Envelopes, the machine does when you print an envelope (even if an envelope is in the tray). However, when you click OK, the envelope prints and there is then an error message that you need to load Tray 1 with plain paper.

Also, if you simply try to print something, the main tray doesn't print anything - you have to insert your paper in the manual feed Tray 1.

I have no idea what "Default Paper Size" refers to on this screen.

In any event, this printer isn't able to do much of anything right now. Settings are incorrect, but there are no useful instructions for any of this.

HP Recommended

May be this could help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRG1UgmDQ50

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Betty,

Your reply points to helpful youtube videos for configuring envelopes in Word and other formats, but it doesn't address my situation since I'm already sending properly formatted envelopes to the Printer.

I think this is a situation where I have to go over it step-by-step on the phone with a tech.

Unfortunately, it is not possible at present to purchase out of warranty support and contact an HP tech (presumably due to Covid).

However, I need to purchase another printer in the very near future, and if I purchase the identical HP LaserJet Pro M148fdw, it will come with a warranty. Once I get the printer properly set up, I'll return to this thread with an answer. 

Regards, 

Bruce

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.