Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8028
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My new HP OfficeJet Pro 8028 is connected to a wireless network, I can access it through my desktop browser and HP Smart app, and I have updated the firmware to the latest version. My issue is with setting up scanning; some options seem to be missing.

I can only access scan-to-email setup from the printer's touch screen, and it only allows one email address with automatic PIN login. From the printer touch screen, I can configure a second email address, but the second email address does not show in the on-screen list. To scan to the second email address, both the email and PIN must be entered manually each time from the printer touch screen (very cumbersome). So I have several questions: (1) Where in the EWS or HP Smart app can I find scan-to-email setup? (2) Is it possible to configure more than one email address for single-touch email selection for scanning? (3) Is scan to network folder not available in this model?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For anyone else with the same issues on an HP OfficeJet Pro 8028, maybe I can save you the 6 (yes 6) phone support handoffs I endured to get this question answered. 

1) This particular printer model does not have scan-to-email setting in EWS or in HP Smart app (which appears to be a fancy wrapper around EWS). If you open EWS and click on "Scan" my only option was "Webscan." I was told that "Email" would be in that list if it was a supported printer feature. Email was not one of the options for my printer, so any scan-to-email setup must be done using the small 2" printer screen. 

2) Using the printer's touch screen, after clearing the email addresses I previously tried, I was able to set up the printer so that scan-to-email can occur from more than one email address. There's an automatic login selection that saves/enters the pin automatically so you don't have to do it manually.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@ghdoc

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

Please download and use the HP Full Feature Software https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/OJP8020/HPEasyStart-12.1.03-OJP8020_49.7.4556_1_F...

You can also refer to page 47 in the User Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06291141 for more information on Scan To Email

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestions;

(1) I downloaded and ran the HP Full Feature Software self-extracting executable. It runs, then says it can't find my printer. This is odd because the printer is installed, online, and selected as the default printer. I am not sure how to proceed if the HP Full Feature Software can't find my printer. I do have HP Smart installed, and it finds the printer without any issue. 

(2) Page 47 of the user guide says:

1. From Home screen, touch Scan, and then touch Email.
2. On the Email Profile Not Set Up screen, touch Next.
3. Touch Using the HP Software Installed on a Computer or Using a Web Browser

My printer allows me to complete Step 1. When I touch Scan, then touch Email, the only option is "My account is not listed".  My printer does not show the options listed in Steps 2 or 3. If I press "Continue" after Step 1, the only option is to enter an email address and PIN (which I can do, but this creates exactly the issue I reported in the original post).

I appreciate the suggestions, but I could use some additional guidance.

HP Recommended

@ghdoc

At this point I suggest you contact HP Support in your region and our Support Engineers should be able to remote in your computer and sort out this Scan to Email issue

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

For anyone else with the same issues on an HP OfficeJet Pro 8028, maybe I can save you the 6 (yes 6) phone support handoffs I endured to get this question answered. 

1) This particular printer model does not have scan-to-email setting in EWS or in HP Smart app (which appears to be a fancy wrapper around EWS). If you open EWS and click on "Scan" my only option was "Webscan." I was told that "Email" would be in that list if it was a supported printer feature. Email was not one of the options for my printer, so any scan-to-email setup must be done using the small 2" printer screen. 

2) Using the printer's touch screen, after clearing the email addresses I previously tried, I was able to set up the printer so that scan-to-email can occur from more than one email address. There's an automatic login selection that saves/enters the pin automatically so you don't have to do it manually.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

That link does not work anymore and I can't edit my subject line or anything on my Officejet pro 7740 doing scan to email

HP Recommended

I found the same thing! Clicking on the link doesn't work, but the "text" of the link seems correct (the embedded hyperlink is wrong).

http://www.hp.com/contacthp/%C2%A0 (this is what the HP employee posted, DOES NOT WORK)

http://www.hp.com/contacthp/ (I think this is what he/she meant)

Good luck with your issue. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.